• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Clayoquot sound

Dipper

Paddler
Planning a trip in September. Our first visit to this area. Can anyone recommend long term parking in Tofino? Is drinking water hard to find?

Last time I was in Tofino - about a decade ago - the developers had built so many housing complexes, they depleted their water table. All the restaurants and cafes were serving in paper cups to minimize dish washing. I imagine it would be a hard housing sell, “… Yes, this is a beautiful new home. The only minor issue is, it has no running water. ...” Lessons to be learned. Unless you know of a freshwater stream you will filter/purify, I’d plan on bringing with you need from home.

Reactions: CPS
Tofino gets its water pipes over from Meares island, which is to say there's not much locally. There are surely some small creeks you could filter from, but bringing your water in a dromedary might be easier.

I know of parking on 3rd Street, just up from the park. I believe there's a limit in place in summer months though, but I can't remember when it ends. Might be ok in September.

In Tofino, you have to carefully check the parking signs as the township is hyper-efficient when it comes to enforcing their bylaws, especially when it comes to overnight parking. I was able to park for 5 days on the west end of Gibsons St. without any issues.

In the "Don't leave anything in your vehicle world, that's a little difficult to do unless you are really, really local. Because you'll have travel "on the mainland"clothes and food stores you'd leave in the car for when you return. There might be a suitcase or storage tub that held your paddling gear and will hold wet gear when you return. So the car will be far from empty. I know you are talking about "valuables" but the expensive issue is someone breaking into your car. Any tips on how to avoid that? One person told me he leaves his glove box and maybe the center console open so someone could see, from outside, there is nothing of value in there or think the car has already been "visited".

In the "Don't leave anything in your vehicle world, that's a little difficult to do unless you are really, really local. Because you'll have travel "on the mainland"clothes and food stores you'd leave in the car for when you return. There might be a suitcase or storage tub that held your paddling gear and will hold wet gear when you return. So the car will be far from empty. I know you are talking about "valuables" but the expensive issue is someone breaking into your car. Any tips on how to avoid that? One person told me he leaves his glove box and maybe the center console open so someone could see, from outside, there is nothing of value in there or think the car has already been "visited".

Depending on who is doing the breaking in, you will never be able to stop it from happening. For some destitute souls, a pair of cheap sunglasses is an attraction to enter.

I focus on making sure they can't get anything of long term concern. Whenever I go kayaking, I always take my vehicle registration with me. Ditto, the garage door opener. I don't have a home security system. So, with those two items, a thief could not only create a mess in my truck, they could potentially head for my home and really go to town. Also, the criminal set uses vehicle registrations for a variety of nefarious reasons. Even small time b&e types know they can sell registration papers up the line.

Another item in your vehicle to think about is the wheel lock key. I don't take that with me, but I don't leave it as an easy target in the glove compartment, either. I have it squirrelled away where even my garage mechanics have yet to find it without detailed instructions. Playing this game might seem kind of silly. But, it would only take one disappearing tire episode to convince otherwise.

You'll never be able to truly go on a trip, or even a day paddle, without leaving something in the vehicle. Just make sure there is nothing of actual value left behind.

Back