Coal Harbour - Quatsino Entrance

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by JohnAbercrombie, Aug 12, 2018.

1. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Inspired by LAM's account of her trip from Coal Harbour:
    http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/threads/quatsino-sound-johnstone-strait.8295/
    I spent a few days paddling with a friend in Quatsino last week.
    Track Quatsino Aug 07 to 11 2018.JPG
    A few brief comments:
    Coal Harbour- Launch from the plane hanger ramp and pay in the hanger office. I was told (sternly!) that 'Joey' did NOT run the place. :)
    $5/day to park in the large gravel lot and "no charge for kayak launches".
    It can be busy, so use the narrow side of the launch ramp to keep out of the way of planes and powerboats.
    Drake Island - Nice campsites in the forest but landing and launching could be tricky. The southernmost inlet with the boat wreck has an easy slope (a bit mucky) beach and a couple of small tent sites on the left of the beach - one tent site at 12 foot tide (Tides @ Winter Harbour were what we used.) Very nice (green throne and wood 3 sided screen) toilet in the forest with well-marked trail.
    Mahatta Creek - As LAM indicated, it's very pleasant. Paddling up the creek at mid tide is very nice - rock walls, cool foliage and a 4 foot waterfall at the end. Perfect contrast to a hot day in the sun.
    Blue Cod Islet- No camping possibilities as the 'upland' is completely overgrown and the (sloping) top of the beach will be mostly covered at high tide (>11'). If anybody wants to organize (or help organize) a work party to clear out the tent sites, count me in. Luckily Goodings West is only a few hundred meters away.
    Goodings West - Very nice beach camping (sand with everything!) but no evidence of a flowing water source behind the beach. Perhaps in the rainy season?
    Forecast and actual (20knots N at Quatsino Light at 0500) winds encouraged us to head back north from Goodings. We actually found quite brisk (15, gusts up to 20) easterly and northeasterly winds as we made our way north past Gillam Islands. It wasn't clear to us how this related to northerly and northwesterly winds 'outside', but the higher winds in the forecast for the next few days led to a decision to get back 'inside' rather than head for Kains or Hunt Islets, as we were on a fairly tight timeline for return.
    Quatsino Park West and Quatsino Beaches - zero camping possibilities at 11 foot+ tides (which occur every day (night) this month (Aug).
    Undercover Cove- This is a VERY nice spot and a 'just reward' for folks who paddle in small groups (1,2,3 paddlers). :)
    mini-Undercover 6.JPG
    Very protected, easy landing/launch from zero to 10-11 foot tides, storage for 2 or 3 kayaks just off the beach, and 3 (4?) nice tent sites in the open forest above.
    mini-Undercover 5.JPG
    mini-Undercover 4.JPG
    There are BCMTN signs visible from the water once you get close.
    mini-Undercover 2.JPG
    mini-Undercover 3.JPG
    Waypoint (my tent site): L: 50.50124 Lo: -127.76988 BCMTN 50.501, -127.77
    About 12 miles from Coal Harbour, and part of that will go quickly if your timing at the Narrows is good (but safe!).
    Track Aug 11 Quatsino Flood 1.5 hrs after max.JPG

Paved road all the way, so an easy drive home to Victoria (and I don't have to wash the car!).

stagger likes this.
  2. chodups

chodups Paddler

Nice report! Thank you!

3. LAM

LAM Paddler

Glad we were able to provide inspiration John! Thanks for sharing.

Lila

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Lila-
    You would have been amused to see the reaction from the (obviously 'senior management') gentleman when I asked if he was 'Joey'. :)

chodups likes this.
  5. LAM

LAM Paddler

Oh, that's funny John!

Lila