• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

commercial postings, also Online VHF courses May 3, May 28, June 25

kayakwriter

Administrator
Hi all,

So I know we had a issue very recently with a commercial posting for guided kayak trips. The general WCP policy remains the same: no threads created for the sole purpose of promoting commercial goods or services. (It's OK to make non-libelous comments good or bad about specific companies or brands in response to other members' questions, but please declare it if you have any connection to or financial interest in the company you're discussing.)

So to semi-practice what I preach: I'm declaring that I'm employed by Jericho Beach Kayak and am the instructor for the radio courses promoted below. And as always, I'm cutting myself a little slack on the no-commercial postings rule with the rationale that the income from teaching these courses helps me pay the bills that keep the electrons on here at WCP.

We now return to your irregularly scheduled commercial message:

Being able to knowledgeably use a radio really helps safety and efficiency when sea kayaking. And it's not just a good idea - it's the law: you are legally required to have a ROC (M) to operate a marine VHF in Canada.

Luckily, at least during the pandemic, we're allowed to offer the course and exam online. One 3 hour online class, then a one-on-one online test that takes about an hour.

https://jerichobeachkayak.com/lessons/online-vhf-radio-course/

Someday the Canadian border will once again be open with just a drive-through from the US. I assume the price for the radio class is in Canadian dollars (CAD). It appears the license is good for life - no renewal required.

Is this open to USA citizens as well? From the wording, it appears that anyone transmitting on a Marine radio (Marine VHF bands) in Canada is legally required to have this license. Is that correct?

Is this open to USA citizens as well? From the wording, it appears that anyone transmitting on a Marine radio (Marine VHF bands) in Canada is legally required to have this license. Is that correct?

The question has come up before in this thread. So, yes USA citizens can get Canadian ROC (M)s. As to whether/when they must, the part that answers your question is:

U.S. vessel operators, including kayakers, visiting Canadian waters in their own U.S. vessels have 45 days continuous before they need to meet Canadian requirements. This is the extent of any reciprocal agreement. However, if they are in Canadian waters operating a Canadian vessel they need to have a ROC(M).

If U.S. boaters, including kayakers, travel to Canadian waters they will need a Station License for the radio itself, including hand helds, from their own FCC. For Canadians boating in U.S. waters they also require a Station License that they can get from Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada.

In the U.S. boaters do not need a Certificate to operate a VHF radio or a Station License.

Edited to add, yes, JBK is happy to have American students, as we have before. When you're registering, please pick a class that allows time for us to send you a hard copy edition of the manual you'll need to study.

Just bumping the thread to remind folks about the June 25 ROC (M) course. Slots still available.

Back