Committing suicide . . .

Discussion in 'Paddling Safety' started by mick_allen, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

I guess he did not know about the drain plug, but is lack of knowledge stupidity?
    No, but going on the water without knowledge is stupid.

3. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

The woman is not a sympathetic subject but my judgement from afar is that she had minimal responsibility for his death and got railroaded by non-kayak authorities :

-they were in crap rec kayaks with no spraydecks
    ActualKayak.jpg
    - my understanding is that they were of roughly equal minimal skills.
    - he was a willing participant in their outing
    - he chose not to wear a pfd.
    - the conditions were obviously terrible to anyone - "The conditions that day were very dangerous, the water was very cold, the water was very choppy, and there were also high winds"
    - how easy would it be for any of us as rank beginners to lose balance or make a mistake in such conditions?
    - the tiny, missing drain plug on the top of the rear deck would have no effect on the kayak taking on water before flipping.
    simkayak-drainplug.jpg
    - after flipping, the drain plug would not admit water [into the apparent [I'm reasonably sure here] sealed rear compartment] if the kayak was upside down and would take a looooong time of repeated immersions to trickle water into it if semi-upright.
    - with respect to pushing a paddle away from the victim in these conditions: 1)he would not know what to do with a paddle after dumping and 2) try making a long curved blade kayak paddle go anywhere you want it to - especially in contradition to waves and wind - it just won't: and one could easily say they then inadvertently 'pushed the paddle away'
    - doing yoga has repeatedly been promoted in paddling magazines as a way to relax and relieve stress - and I sure think that continuous, compelled 11 hour questioning sessions sure would build up the stress. I sure would be stretching and doing one heck of a lot of deep breathing if questioning on anything [even benign] lasted that long.

And to her credit, she called authorities within 20 minutes.
    And I'm sure many of us have commented in one way or another that open kayaks with rookie paddlers not dressed for immersion or even safety are a recipe for disaster if they venture far afield - and these people were out in cold water in bad conditions.

I feel slightly sorry for the subject [as she is sort of a whacko], but more sorry for the friends and family of the victim who don't understand [that based on the evidence that I think was shown] that she had virtually nothing to do with the death of their son and relative.

to anyone reading this, don't forget the almost identical scenario where 2 extreme adventure athletes [like they are/were the best of us] did essentially the exact same thing and paddled away from their 3 dumped companions in the hopes of calling for help in time - with the result that only one survived.
    They weren't interrogated for 11 hours, but I wonder how much differently they would have reacted in a foreign country if they had been.
    So I guess what I wonder . . . are we the experts here? do we have some responsibility to say something? Or do we let sleeping dingbats lie?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017