Compression socks for paddling?

sofstu

Paddler
Has anyone tried using compression socks while paddling?

If so are there any brands you prefer or anything to look for?

The reason I ask is my legs fall asleep when I am out, and I am wondering if they would help.
When I wear my wetsuit I don't have this issue.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
Not a direct answer, but there have been many who have leg sleep issues and it mainly comes down to how sharp or supporting the front of the seat is or if the seat is narrow, how generally supported or unsupported the sit bones are so there are no areas that a lot of comparative sit weight might be on. So for simplicity, and on the off chance it works, can you slightly modify your seat or the front of it for an experiment . . . might save a sock or two [depending on your leg count]. For example the softness of the wetsuit just might be spreading out your weight the tiniest bit so a nerve is not quite so pinched.

Heck it'd lower your CG 5mm or so for better stability too!

cougarmeat

Paddler
Another suggestion is to put something about the size/shape/hardness of a rolled towel at the front edge of the seat. Maybe a partially filled drybag would work. The idea is to elevate your legs slightly so they don't press down so much on that seat edge.

sofstu

Paddler
Thank you,
I did try a towel and didn't think it helped.

I am pretty much straight legged which sure doesn't help and not much room to play with
However I am thinking of re skinning my boat in the spring and it's the perfect time to make changes.
I could easily pull the planks back one rib moving that edge under my padding, which would also give my knees more clearance.

For now, you both got me thinking a pool noodle at the front edge may help.
I have one handy so it will only cost me a couple minutes work to find out.

Reactions: CPS

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
I took a look at your seat setup:
seat.jpg

so it's fairly simply with no sharp edges right at the thigh/seat intersection,
so maybe it's likely the 'sitbones' , so possibly relieving that area slightly similar to what rowing seats do will help:
or doing it in reverse with a thin foam pad with a couple of holes?

rowseat.jpg

Kayak Jim

Paddler
When I had my skin boat I used a Therm-a-rest bum pad, partially inflated, which accomplished the relief areas under the sit bones.

Mowog73

Paddler
When I had my skin boat I used a Therm-a-rest bum pad, partially inflated, which accomplished the relief areas under the sit bones.
I still use one of those Thermarest bump pads, its the only way I can kayak and not aggravate my sciatica.

sofstu

Paddler
$30 is a cheap investment.
If it doesn't work in my yak, it should make my winter job more enjoyable.
Sitting 12 hours and a day in a chilly truck.

Jasper

Paddler
99.9% of legs/feet falling asleep and other sciatic nerve related issues in paddling are caused by tight hamstrings. And in modern (sitting) society we all have tight hamstrings...

Extra support under the thighs will bring some relieve, a higher foredeck will bring some relief, but the best thing you can do for your paddling is stretch those hammies!