Construction Foam

darb

Paddler
Greetings,

I pulled my seat out and lost the factory semi-rigid foam pieces that went in between the seat bottom and hull.

I am planning to use an expanding construction spray foam and was just wondering if anyone had any feedback?

My biggest concern is overfilling and bulging the hull.

mick_allen

Paddler & Moderator
If you can, try little sprays at a time - then you can stop short. Otherwise just get some rigid and shape it with saw and sandpaper to your desired shape.

Kayak Jim

Paddler
There are "low expanding" versions available (used around windows). I wonder how these foams would stand up to long term immersion?

JKA

Paddler
If you can, try little sprays at a time - then you can stop short...
I second this!

When we were remodelling our house I used several cans of expanding foam to fill the voids around a large window. I was horrified how much was needed, and I was forced to do an emergency trip into town - a 90 minute return drive - to buy more.

On my return I discovered a massive lump of expanded foam had bubbled out of the wall, and looking under the house I found a huge stalactite had formed, dripping down from my window. I still have a couple of unused cans, left over from that emergency purchase. And that's after doing the rest of the house.

That stuff goes a long way!