Crap! Not again! Fuel barge at Bella Bella

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by kayakwriter, Nov 27, 2017.

1. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

That is a huge barge. Fuel barges regularly run up the Columbia River, very protected waters compared to this site. Ours are miniscule by comparison, and cruise over sandy channels for the most part. I suspect many do not understand the potential for a huge environmental impact if this barge ruptures.

A hidden aspect of this is that requirements for transporting oil, etc., via freighter are much more stringent than those regulating transport by barge ... with crew size a significant difference. Barges transit the west coast of the US in lieu of freighters ... with a yin and a yang. If one runs aground, the spill will be smaller than what a freighter might release ... but one freighter might be replaced by a dozen or more of the barges which we see here, translating to perhaps a greater likelihood of a spill.

3. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

It appears that roughly 80,000 barrels is some sort of limit for fuel barge capacity, perhaps on this run, or maybe because of limitations in the capacity of tugs available. There are half a dozen barges from Harley Marine in that range, various lengths and configurations. See this link:

http://www.harleymarine.com/companies-otb.asp

5. LAM

LAM Paddler

Looks like disaster has been averted, this time! I was surprised to hear that the steel on the double hulls is thinner than the steel on a single hull and would not hold up any better when it's bouncing off the rocks and reefs.

Lila

6. LAM

LAM Paddler

7. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

One would think there would have been an alarm that sounded when actual course deviated from intended course. Even my 15 year old hand held gps has this XTE alarm.

8. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

For the Nathan Stewart, the news item notes that the cross-track alarm was turned off, so the helmsman slept right through.....

9. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

Missed that John, thanks. I had read the account on CBC which didn't mention it.

10. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

For what it is worth, in 1989 the captain on a brand new, then state of the art double hulled tanker told me about the same thing. There were, at that time, also concerns about the greater difficulty of inspecting the interior walls of the double hull chamber. A single hulled vessel has only two surfaces to inspect, and both are relatively easy to check for excessive rust, weak areas, etc.

I am not offering this to suggest that double hulled vessels are inferior. Rather, to suggest that a double hull is no panacea which alone prevents spills.