Current Designs Pisces?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by stagger, Jul 13, 2017.

1. stagger

stagger Paddler

I have a line on a couple CD Pisces 17 (one is 17.5) for $800 each. Because I live inland, I generally rent kayaks for expeditions but at this price they'd pay for themselves pretty quick - about a year.

I can't find much info on this model online; I gather they're an early model. I'm not concerned about getting the latest & greatest, as I don't do enough paddling to become very nuanced with it - I'm really a distance slogger.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the Pisces and can provide feedback - particularly if there are any glaring faults with this model that should make me think twice about the purchase.

Thanks, folks!

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I don't know the boat, but did a quick search and found this one that was listed for sale a few years ago:
    http://www.usedvictoria.com/ReportSelectUsedAdPhoto2?used_ad_id=23951707&position=4&hb=2

Looking at that one's photos, it has a long water line and little rocker. Should be fast for going straight, but not too maneuverable.

That small front hatch makes me wonder if there is a front bulkhead, or if it is just a hatch to access the front to install float bags. If no front bulkhead, then you definitely would want to get float bags or a sea sock for it. A flip and wet exit would allow a lot of water to enter the boat otherwise, which may make it hard or impossible to re-enter on the water. If a bulkhead, keep in mind that only small items will fit in that front hatch.

Be good to jury rig some deck lines, if it doesn't have any (as the one in the ad photo does not). Boats from 90s and before often did not have deck lines, but they are standard now for safety reasons.

I checked the Seals Skirts sizing guide, and they do show a skirt fitting that. 1.7 in size. which is kind of large for back then (when they were using 1.2 and 1.4s), but is pretty standard now. Good to know they used a size that is reasonably standard now for cockpit.

17' x 24" wide is a pretty high volume boat. Current Designs often has boats that do well for larger paddlers and gear, but not as well if paddler/gear don;t meat some minimum weight. Can't say if this particular boat would be like that, but would be something worth checking into if you can.

3. stagger

stagger Paddler

Thanks for the informative response! I probably wouldn't have thought to check if it had a front bulkhead - may be a dealbreaker if not. There's some rigging but no deck lines on the rear - worth looking into. As I said, we're distance sloggers, not rock-hoppers, so the maneuverability shouldn't be an issue, and we'd be decked out with lots of weight. Roomy is good.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

4. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Current Designs support and see if they have any details on the line.

5. stagger

stagger Paddler

Well, I pulled the trigger & bought the boats. One is a Pisces and the other an Equinox - lower volume, smaller cockpit. They both have bulkheads - the Pisces has the original tiny front hatch but the bulkhead is farther forward than I would have expected. The Equinox has an aftermarket oval front hatch with the front bulkhead properly placed right at the feet. Deck lines have been installed but I'll want to replace a bunch of the rigging, which has seen maybe better days. Good project boats. Once I get them spruced up a little I'm going to stage them at the coast & get out there more for little trips and some courses. Excited! My first glass boats.