Cutting neoprene

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Oct 3, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Actually, I may be answering my own question. Looks like there is a row of stitching and I could trim it close to there with impunity, no? The ad says you can do that for the face, so I assume the neck also?

3. Tangler

Tangler Paddler

Neoprene itself is just rubber with air in it. You can cut it no problem so long as it is smoothly done with no nicks that might lead to tearing under stress (probably not a problem in this situation).
    I guess the stitching is there to help prevent any additional surface material from fraying as well as holding different bits together so your assumption is probably safe.
    Looks like a nice hood.
    Back in the day, if I knew I was going to be doing some rolling in cold water, I would often pre-wet the hood to help delay the onset of "ice-cream headache".
    If surfing in the summer I used to put the hood inside my neck seal to prevent neck rash from the seal.

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Yeah it was quite comfy inside, but I leaked. Which wasn't TOO big a deal since it's not super cold yet, but the temp had dropped and it had rained all week, so the water was unseasonably cold.

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Yes. What I do: use a ball point pen to make a line where I want to cut. Find a smooth bowl or traffic cone or similar object which gently stretches the surface. Run an Xacto knife or a single edged razor blade along the line, preferably in one pass, cutting all the way through, if possible. Repeat if needed. If borrowed traffic cone, return it to road excavation. ;)

Scissors invariably leave an annoying rough edge.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

Oh, great tips. I will try that! :)

7. rider

rider Paddler

You're not exactly trimming a gasket. Millimeters are not mission critical. I would just use sharp scissors. Or, if you are going to use a blade, use a utility razorblade, will be sharper than an exacto knife.

Astoriadave likes this.