Dances With Bears: Sea Kayaking The Broughton Archipelago To Powell River. Part 1

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by kayakwriter, Oct 19, 2017.

1. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

chodups and Astoriadave like this.
  2. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

As usual - thanks for your great trip reports! I had read the earlier version as well. Since this is intended as "more accessible to a non-kayaking readership", you might at some point add a map showing the whole extent of the trip. Most of us on WCP can look at our own charts to get that feel.

3. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I'd already planned to put the full route map up as part of the final posting.

4. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

5. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

6. dut

dut Paddler

A great trip report, thanks.

Barry

7. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

8. jefffski

jefffski New Member

What an amzing trip. Your navigation skills are second to none.

9. chodups

chodups Paddler

Philip,

So nice to read this part again.

Your writing is second to none. Never mind that I'm initially sucked in by the subject matter because your word crafting allows for readers to take a sometimes wild (but understated), educational and humorous ride through sea kayaking. You rate with some of my favorites. I'm thinking Elmore Leonard, Thomas Berger and Philip Torrens. Yeah. Something like that.

This image in particular is one of my favorites. What could feel better at the end of a day of paddling than:
    "As I seated myself, they struck up Vivaldi in the distance, making it quite the most elegant outhouse experience I’ve ever had."

As you know, my shame knows no bounds when it comes to stealing from you and quoting it like I own it. Unfortunately, try as I may, I have never found myself enjoying any outhouse experience to the degree that you have but mark my words, Torrens, some day I will and I will. It may not be "distant." It may not be "elegant". It may not be "Vivaldi". But when it happens I will report it with inspiration I'll stolen from you.

Astoriadave likes this.