Dave Kruger is gone

pawsplus

Paddler
I just learned on Facebook that our AstoriaDave is gone. :( I'm just devastated. He had a number of health issues and this fungal thing had settled in and he knew it was going to take him. I'd messaged with him a few times in the past few months and he didn't have a lot to say. Just sort of gritting his teeth for the end. :( But I was able to tell him how much his support and mentoring have meant to me since I first met him on this forum 5+ years ago. He was a special person--funny, generous, smart, and just one of the Good Guys.

Here are some pix of him from our trip to Long Island in Willapa Bay in 2016. I think it was his last kayak camping trip.

One I took of him that he used as his Facebook profile pic, so I think he liked it! We were in a tandem.

dave.JPG

Dave and his ex-wife, Belinda. One of the very nice things about Dave was the lovely relationship he maintained with Belinda. His wife Becky was not able to accompany us on the camping trip.
dave_belinda.JPG

At launch.
dave_launch.JPG

The group (except me!) rafted up.

rafting_up.JPG

And TARP MAN!!! As anyone here knows, Dave was a master of the tarp. I assisted him in the assembly of this baby.

tarp_man.JPG

REST IN PEACE, Dave. I love you and I will always miss you.

kayakwriter

Administrator
Damn! Saddened that he's gone, but glad to have had the pleasure of his company and the benefit of his wisdom on the forums all these years, and in person at WCP meet-ups and at The Paddler's Inn.

alexsidles

Paddler
Mike Barents's book, "Paddling Alone: Nine Hundred Miles from Idaho's Mountains to the Pacific Ocean," describes an encounter with an Astoria-based paddler named Dave who took in the author at the end of a very long, arduous expedition. That generous paddler was, of course, our own Dave Kruger.

Craig Jungers of NWKayaking.net has collected some of Dave's old trip reports here (links in the frame to the right). [Archive]

Alex

YakaDoodle

I only knew him through his words which were always good...the currents of life have moved him on to endless shores. He will always be among us in his words.

Last edited:

drahcir

Paddler
I did not know Dave, but appreciated his generosity to this community. There are likely a few here who knew him well. I don't know whom Dave left behind. So, to those who may have known Dave well, are those Dave left behind aware of the comments here on the subject of his passing? If not, they might appreciate the link.

chodups

Paddler
A gift that Dave gave to me was showing me a better, more effective way to communicate. On some threads where he and I both essentially expressed the same opinion he always did so in a much more eloquent and inclusive way that left me wishing that I had said it the way he had. I always got the feeling that, unlike me, Dave never wished that he had said something differently. His messages drew folks in and extended conversations. Even when he had something negative to say about another's opinion he did it in such a diplomatic and classy fashion that nobody's feelings were hurt. I think he made us all feel valued and if he heard something new from any one of us he let us know and, for me, it made me feel special.

I always felt that he was the best of us.

Jurfie

Paddler
A gift that Dave gave to me was showing me a better, more effective way to communicate. On some threads where he and I both essentially expressed the same opinion he always did so in a much more eloquent and inclusive way that left me wishing that I had said it the way he had. I always got the feeling that, unlike me, Dave never wished that he had said something differently. His messages drew folks in and extended conversations. Even when he had something negative to say about another's opinion he did it in such a diplomatic and classy fashion that nobody's feelings were hurt. I think he made us all feel valued and if he heard something new from any one of us he let us know and, for me, it made me feel special.

I always felt that he was the best of us.
Well said.

Rest well, Dave. Condolences to his family.