Day trip ideas - Vancouver/Vancouver Island area?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by jimmyswo, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jimmyswo

jimmyswo New Member

Hi Everyone!
    I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for day trip paddles in the Vancouver area. I am coming in for a conference and wanted to do some paddling. I will have a few free days so I can travel a bit - maybe to Vancouver Island or the Sunshine Coast but not too much further than that. I am a novice - intermediate level kayaker with some formal rescue training and about 100 hours on the water in total.

If you could do one day of paddling given my situation where would you go - please keep in mind it would have to be an area that rents kayaks since I will not be bringing one.

Thanks!
    Jim

2. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

I'd suggest getting a copy of the Wild Coast 3 by John Kimantas ISBN 1-55285-842-1.

It has paddling information for the whole area.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

4. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

Jim, I don't think it is necessary to go out and buy a book to plan a single day paddle in the Lower Mainland. As Dan suggested, Indian Arm is a very popular paddling destination for day trips and overnighters. Deep Cove Kayaks rents several types of kayaks from their outlet on the beach at Deep Cove.

Ladner is also a great place for day trips and there are rental places on either side of the river in Richmond or Ladner.

Also, don't discount False Creek/English Bay/Spanish Banks for a day or evening paddle. You can rent boats on Granville Island or at the Jericho Sailing Centre at Spanish Banks.

All three of those areas are suitable for novice paddlers.

Steve

5. jimmyswo

jimmyswo New Member

Thanks for the great ideas- are there any areas a few hours from Vancouver that you would recommend for day paddling? Hopefully to see some wildlife as well? thanks
    Jim

6. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

For an easy day paddle with lot's of wildlife I would suggest Widgeon Creek, at the mouth of Pitt Lake, which is about an hour's drive from Vancouver. There is a rental place there but they mostly rent canoes and a very few plastic kayaks. I would recommend renting elsewhere.