Day Trips from Tofino

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Jurfie, May 15, 2008.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

So my wife and I are off to Tofino (May 23-26) for a little R&R...we're planning to spend one of the days on the water exploring the sheltered waters around Tofino (one day I'd like to learn to play in the surf tho!). We been there a hundred times, but have never paddled there (usually because we tend to go during the off-season when the weather is colder).

We're renting kayaks; for how long depends on the weather and tides (slack is around noon, high is at 6:30pm), but I'm interested to hear if anyone has some recommendations for "must see" islands/beaches that are do-able within a day-paddle. Nothing too strenuous, as my wife has only been out a couple of times. We'd like to find a sheltered beach to land and have lunch, then continue on, or head back to town (depending on time).

Meares Island and the Big Tree Trail are an obvious trip; maybe Vargas Island via Stubbs Island (looks to be some nice beaches on Stubbs)? Or should we venture up Lemmings Inlet, or south along the eastern shore of the Tofino peninsula? Or? Or? Or? :wink:

We're open to ideas for a nice, relaxing and peaceful paddle. Thanks! 8)

2. Kayakbird

Kayakbird Paddler

I'm a big fan of Lemmens Inlet, for generally calmer conditions, though even there the winds can still be a problem. Check out the Big Trees trail for sure. A little further up Lemmens, Sloman Island has a nice lunch beach on the south east corner, sheltered from the westerlies. On the East side of Morpheus Island, you can find a landing beach and trail to the old cemetary. Further up Lemmens, there's a beach on the right side of the inlet, on a level with the southernmost tip of Lagoon Is, and a trail to the (now fallen) Big Mother cedar - she's worth a look, but this might be a longer paddle than your wife can manage. On the other hand, if she's feeling strong, then Adventure Cove is good, just a little further north.

Watch for tides over the Arakun mudflats - you'll need at least a tidal height of 8 feet to avoid wading through mud. The Arakun Islands are fun to poke around in the kayak, but I can't remember offhand if there's a landing beach there.

Another option is to paddle over the mudflats of Browning Passage, south east from Tofino (again, tides of 5 feet plus needed), the inlets are lovely for poking around. You can certainly land on Laddie Is, I can't remember if there's landing on Mikes Is. There's also a beach along the peninsula.

Stubbs Is is privately owned, no landing. Vargas might be a bit "out there" for your wife - crossing Father Charles Channel can be tough if wind and tides conspire against you.

I wish you beautiful weather and safe paddling in paradise.

Helen.

3. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Awesome, thanks so much for this, Helen! I really appreciate it. 8)

In speaking with others, I think we'll check out Meares and the Big Trees this time around. It's the first time we've paddled the area, and if it is as amazing as I anticipate it will be, I'm going to see about buying a chart for the area and planning future trips!

Thanks again! :D