digital water spots

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by DarenN, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

i recently bought an underwater housing for my Canon A720 IS. I've got a lot of pics with water spots in them. :cry:

the question is:
    has anyone tried the automotive product called "RainX" on the lense of the housing? did it work to shed the water drops?

Daren......

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I've tried both RainX and Rain Away (the latter is, in my opinion a VASTLY superior product! Stays on much longer and doesn't streak like RainX does). However, neither of them really seemed to work well against salt water. I haven't tried them in quite some time, but I do recall being less than excited about the results.

Also, on your windshield, these products seem to require a certain speed (depending on factors like the slope of the windshield etc.) to work. For city driving (at least on my car) they're kind of useless - I need to sustain about 70 kph minimum to avoid using the wipers (my car has a fairly low windshield angle). They simply don't create enough surface tension for the water droplets to fall down under their own weight - they need a bit of a 'push' from the wind (to go up, rather than down, the windshield). I suspect this is the reason for their less than exciting performance on a camera housing.

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

I had a person post to one of my recent Picasa albums that "a pro photog trick is a thin furniture wax layer". I haven't been able to get any more detail from him.
    Jon

4. chodups

chodups Paddler

I want to be clear that I haven't tried this myself and I am not recommending that you do. It's someplace to look, though.

I have the same problem with my WP camera. If the lens is dry and clean the photos are great but if not???????????? It usually looks bad.

I ended up with a ton of photos from my Prince Rupert trip this summer that would have been awesome if the lens was clear. Some came out kind of spooky looking and a casual observer might think it was a clever "effect". You, however, would look at it and see that it was nothing more than a spotted lens.

I would really like to know the answer to this one.

Jon

5. Doug

Doug Paddler

Hi Daren, I can't help you with your question but if I come across any info I'll let you know. However, I'm wondering approximately how much you paid for your housing? I once bought one from my sd100 for $25 off of ebay. It's only a 2mp camera, which is a bit long in the tooth. I now have a sd870 which takes decent pictures but the housings for them are around $270 I think.

cheers

6. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

hi Doug;
    my housing is made by Canon for my Canon camera and it was about the cost of the camera itself. for those that are interested, (i am), Canon makes a housing for the G-10. because the housing really bulks up the camera, i think it would be a great idea to go to the smallest highest quality camera that's affordable and get the housing for it.
    i, and others, have had trouble with dedicated waterproof cameras so i decided to drop the cash on the housing for a better camera and be done with it.

Daren.......