Discipline brings joy

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Man in qajaq, May 2, 2019.

1. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

The Tibetan meditation master Choygam Trungpa Rinpoche expressed the view that discipline brings joy.
    I never really understood that view until I personally experienced it while paddling.
    I was with two others and one of them was lagging behind taking photographs. The other was mulling about the rocky shoreline soaking in the beauty. I decided to move a distance away from shore and practice some rolling.
    I got myself set up and capsized . We sometimes play a game called hang out and roll. And this is what I did. I hung out until my face was cold and nearly out of breath. I then began the recovery with a forward finish reverse sweep. Halfway up something felt odd. My paddle was failing. It snapped in half and I plunged back down without the chance to grab a breath. I lost hold of both halves and went into default mode....wet exit. As I reached for the grab loop I had the thought ' wait, you don't need to do that'. So instead I tried a hand roll, which failed miserably. Still no breath. Telling myself to 'stay calm, don't panic' I continued to figure something out. Then again a thought, 'try your spare Paddle ' Yeah, great idea. I reach forward and found it among the rest of the gear on deck and slid it out. I rolled up with a standard layback roll on the off side, completing the roll with a victorious cheer.
    I realized right away that the only thing that saved me from swimming was all the discipline I excreted upon myself through practice of self resuce (rolling). The joy came as the result of this discipline . The feeling was tremendous joy as I paddled back to my friends waving a broken paddle in the air.

Jasper, tmgr, JKA and 4 others like this.
  2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

I like your story, but is self control a form of discipline? Philosophically, can you have self control without discipline? I understand the practice takes both discipline and motivation
    Maybe you greatest discipline was to not panic

3. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

By having the intention and exertion of becoming thoroughly trained, both mind and body became familiar to the experience. It was the ability to synchronize mind and body which enabled me to respond to the situation rather than react. Reacting is what I was doing as I was about to pull the grab loop to wet exit. When the paddle broke, I felt a twinge of anxiety, not knowing what to do. So the reaction became a reminder to become aware. Awareness let me pause, have a gap, and then I begin to resond to the situation from the training I've had.
    I believe your right, Roy222, not panicking came from self disipline .

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Playing a 'hang out underwater for a long time before rolling up' game with friends is an excellent idea; I should do it more. 15 seconds underwater and the 'I'm gonna drown!!...gotta breathe!!' voice starts getting going in the back of my head. :)