Discovered My Own DSD Summit Stone.

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by batstar81, Sep 5, 2007.

1. batstar81

batstar81 New Member

2. sludge

sludge Paddler

DSD Summit Stones

Fun.

By way of "adventure musings" per DSD's blog, I am guessing you found it in the Tiny Group, on the most northern island, east of Chalk Island?

By way of further coincidence, I suspect the location might be the same that Westcoastwill (Willi) called his favourite lunch stop, referring to it as Paradise Cove in his posting of Feb. 22, 2007 under the Broken Group Album subject.?

(the idle thoughts of an idle fellow)

3. batstar81

batstar81 New Member

It was found on the smallest island in the tiny group
    Yes, a great lunch rest spot.
    Fun for sure.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I can hardly wait for the anti-inukshuk crowd to get hold of this one. :lol:

5. batstar81

batstar81 New Member

I guess some might see it as not ok, but when found it looks like these are meant to be taken from where they are put.
    Nothing left then but a great memory.
    :wink:

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

I guess some might see this as "littering," and I'm sure the official posture of Parks would something stuffy like that.

Reading the blog, however, seems plain this person (man or woman?) is a conscientious lover of things and places wild. And, an artist of some talent. I'd be very excited to find one of these, and would look on it as a connection to another wilderness devotee.

The Brokens, as they are now, probably would not be regarded as much of a wilderness in a strict sense of having intense isolation, but when I am there on a quiet morning, or thrashing a vigorous sea, I can feel its past, and its future. It feels wild to me, underneath.

Just don't get me going on the water taxi ... :roll: :wink:

7. batstar81

batstar81 New Member

8. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

sorry, but i'd puke to see one of those. i guess i'll have to start carrying the slingshot, the can of paint stripper, or i guess one more item to surface burn in the neufeld markI.

9. rainman

rainman Paddler

Well, I guess each to their own.
    I did take the time to read that blog though so I would actually know what was being talked about. :eek:
    Let me see if I get it?
    Here we have what I assume is a dedicated outdoors person, by what is written there. What is it this DSD wants anyway? :shock:
    Apparently to encourage "giving back" however we each define that, and in doing that to garner some attention for protecting and preserving the outdoors? This DSD also looks to be a animal rights supporter, a supporter of Outward Bound, and promotes mentoring of youth of all things. :D
    Not a lot there I find distasteful or feel I'm going to yak over.
    I could be wrong, but these don't appear to be litter as in the broken glass, cigarette butts, or crappy toilet paper I've seen at more than one camp. :x
    You find a stone. Its yours to keep and take away? :lol:
    If you didn't want it, from the stories of the "finder's" on the blog, it would seem someone else might and none have gotten sea sick over the experience. :oops:
    It actually appears, like batstar, that they seem to surprisingly enjoy it rather than regurgitating their lunch.
    After reading it over again, being a sometimes overwieght, lazy type, I am considering getting up and getting involved. There is an overused launch site near my home that could use a makeover. :!:
    That might make me even feel better rather than flu-ish.
    But, maybe its just me, but not a lot about this I want to spit up about.
    I don't know, batstar, being as we're both new here, don't get turned off by this. I ceratinly arne't. :wink:
    You're lucky to find one of these. I would love to. Then I'd post about it big time. :D

10. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I certainly don't find them distasteful - they're actually quite pretty. I just have a problem with how we humans seem to have to always 'make our mark' on things. I like to get out to places like that to experience the wonder and beauty of nature - I don't expect or even want to see artificial beauty there too. It's fine for gift shops or more developed places (a bit like the 'penny lane' and such that makes up part of the boardwalk going through Bamfield, etc. - that's a developed place and I think it's kind of neat that people make these features around there homes).

It seems that, even when we try to protect something (from ourselves!) and set it aside as park, we find the need to 'deface' it somehow. Either with park benches and lamp posts, or with little painted rocks left on the shoreline. Call me a purist, but I'd prefer if we could just leave it all alone and enjoy it for what it is, not for what some of us want it to be or think it could be.

11. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

I totally agree! This is one pet peeve of mine...the park benches and such! I guess the rocks are minimal right now but what if the idea catches on like inukshuks...it might be a different story! Mother Nature does a fantastic job - I prefer to leave her be!
    Kathy

12. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Mark's points are good, thoughtful ones.

No-trace-camping is really minimal-trace camping. We always leave something behind, whether it is a foot print or a depression from a tent pad, or a rub area on a tree from a hammock sling.

Not to mention the biological markers eventually incorporated into the nutrient structure of the places we "leave a trace" (thanks to DarrenM for that phrase).

Human cultures have been leaving their mark in wild places forever, whether they be circles of stones, bleached bones from a kill, or blazes on trees. We call these places "wild" because in a relative sense, they are not frequented by humans, and are not settled in by humans. Yet, humans visit, and do leave evidence of their passing, however slight.

If I found one of those stones in an isolated place, it would not bother me any more than finding a trade bead, or a pottery shard, but I do understand how they would bother others. If there were hordes of them, I'd hate that, so maybe I have a better understanding, now, of why they irritate others.

13. mick_allen

Hi dave
    it wouldn't bother me at all to find a fishing float, or line, net, or shoe or a bit of human made something washed off a boat or far off place or inadvertent evidence from other ppls. (junk or garbage does annoy me, tho)

what does bug me is something cutesy (inukshuk included) that someone has decided that he wants to mark the site with and knows that i need to see and appreciate what he has done and what he has experienced because, you know, i'm just not as spiritual as him and i just need to have that little extra to be shown how much better he really experiences it, poor little unappreciative minor worm that I am.

plop in the can of paint stripper or sproing of the slingshot, heh heh!

14. rainman

rainman Paddler

Kidding aside,
    I've been reading closely these very thoughtful comments and outlook by Dave, Mark, and Kasey.
    Good perspectives.
    I also, don't respond well to an assumed "holier than though" attitude.
    Mick does have a point to consider about "soap box types".
    One that I happen to agree with.
    But I don't get that from this DSD thing.
    It just seems pretty innocent to me.

15. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

I have to agree with Dave on this one. Seems innocent enough but I certainly wouldn't want to see more of these things scattered along the beach somewhere.

I don't mean to stray off from the main topic, but I think the same thing applies to driftwood art, if that's what one prefers to call this form of creation. On our Vargas Island trip, we came across this 8 ft. high Inukshuk-like structure along the isolated stretch of beach just north of our campsite in Ahous Bay. We also saw similar ones on north end of Dick & Jane's Beach but they appeared to be purposely built for shelter against the elements.

[​IMG]

16. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

when i was a child, growing up in Sask, i saw my grandfather stack firewood in just such a fashion so that it would dry and stay dry no matter the weather.

17. Batstar

Batstar Paddler

That’s an interesting thought there Darren. :)

The idea of dry stacking firewood never occurred to me and it's possible that is what this person(s) had in mind. Quite frankly, I didn’t think much of it until I came across this thread and the one discussing Inukshuks.
    In the case of this structure, I just think that someone had too much time on their hands and felt inspired that day. ;)

18. mick_allen

thought it didn't rain in saskatch anyway. . . . heh heh.

19. rainman

rainman Paddler

20. GWarner

GWarner Paddler

Wow! It's a good thing this person is painting pebbles. If he was leaving notes, as per climbers on summits, this windbag would be leaving books behind. :wink:

"Adventurers... are most certainly individuals... Everything we do and think out there has a very relative nature to it..."

No kidding! And...what's...with...all... the...wait...for...it...'s?

If I find one of these stones. I'm going to laugh until I cry. Then skip it across a flat stretch of water where it will no doubt skip three...times and...sink.