Drainage ditch kayaking near Lions Bay

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by mick_allen, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=085A7Iv6xzA[/youtube]

2. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

I'm going to tell your parents or whomever is in charge of you.

3. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

I do not have parents. I dumped them long time ago. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That's so crazy (but looks like fun).

Wonder how the mostly uptight Lions Bay city council is going to react to this one. :shock:

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Definitely for the demented. Couple of those around here are wider and have low head cross dams on them, which spill with vigor during heavy runoff.

6. mick_allen

It sure looks like fun, though I wouldn't want to get off balance and sandpaper away my face.
    I guess one could easily start off with short runs and then move up successively.

7. Whidbey

Whidbey Paddler

"No Boating" signs in that drainage ditch would look ridiculous. Who would boat in such a place? Leave it to some creative kayakers...

James

8. windancer

windancer Paddler

I don't think I could take either of my 17' kayaks down this run...........

Terry

9. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Sure you could. Just get a partner and raft up.

10. Jon Wescott

Jon Wescott Paddler

This is the "sluiceway" built for Alberta Creek after a debris flow came down wiping out the bridges and burying 2 boys as they slept in a camper next to their house back in 1985. It's well-greased w/algae.

I believe the paddlers in this most recent set of videos are world-class boaters who were in the Squamish area filming such stuff as dropping 60' Mamquam Falls. Check out photos on the Squamish Paddling Club's Facebook page to see some cool shots! The slide, while fun, would be pretty straightforward in comparison.

As far as our village council being a bit uptight, as can happen w/any council, certain people get involved and pass or try to pass restrictive policies (such as making it difficult to use Kelvin Grove as a dive site). We did manage to not do anything 2 summers ago when it seemed the village was split about allowing public access to our main town park and its beach. That was embarrassing. It does seem quite likely that now someone is going to try running Alberta Creek who doesn't have enough common sense - like not making sure it's high tide - or skill and get hurt. Does liability become an issue since it's man-made? I'll try to find out if there's any discussion of this, but I know people in town find the whole thing to be quite fun - my wife shot footage Saturday of another bunch of kayakers as they went shooting under one of the bridges!

I agree, doing a bunch of shorter runs to try it out and get a feel for it would be the way I'd want to start. Bummed I sold my old whitewater boat this summer, though I still have a whitewater boat and, thus, no excuses!

11. mick_allen

I've seen this story rejuvenated several times in the last few days. Here's an example:
    http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1078995

I almost think its similar to a 'fake news' story where concern is manufactured where there really shouldn't be any. For example, look at this video where reams of young people are doing the same thing - even just sliding down on their short bathing suits and all of them with their arms and legs unprotected. Apparently the moss and grass is soft and protective from concrete abrasion.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQA0sfMhNis[/youtube]

Admittedly most are not going down from the very top, but aren't they all just having fun in a totally out of the way location? And isn't provincial land public land?
    There's so much concern nowadays about young people not getting out and being physical - and here we have an example where regular society is up in arms when they do that very thing.

So lock 'em up? or give our society's heads a shake?

12. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

Damn, that looks like fun! But as was mentioned, if you tipped over, you'd want to be wearing a full face helmet and elbow pads or you're going to be missing a lot of skin.

I didn't see any low head dams in the video, but low head dams kill more newbie river kayakers every year than almost anything. They are recirculating death traps, with no way out. Even if you're skilled enough to remain upright and can work your way from one side of the dam to the other, there is often no "corner" to let you out. Toss a beach ball in a low head dam and it will stay there for weeks, if not months, just constantly recirculating.

13. nootka

nootka Paddler

It probably looks terrifying to flat water paddlers.

14. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

If there's no alcohol involved, I don't see the point.

15. mick_allen

an annoying family member pointed out the flaw in my lack of concern:

that [aside from going over a cliff, etc] when skiing, hiking, biking, ww paddling etc, that one can usually stop fairly quickly to deal with a problem/injury/crash - but in the ditch scenario there's no stopping and one could be in for a long, long unfortunate ride.