Earth Race meets it's end

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by rider, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

So why do people hunt whales?

Food. From all accounts it's not that great. But there is no accounting for taste. One rumour I heard about the Makah hunt was that the whale was left to rot and hardly any of it was used for food.

Excitement. The Japanese are using motorized equipment, it's plain hard work without the nantucket sleigh rides. There is some merit to the discussion that the first nations whale hunt is an important cultural tradition.; Hunting whales with a human powered dugout is dangerous and requires team work. The activity is a team building activity. Seems to me if we're going to limit the danger by using a 50 cal gun instead of the traditional tools that the same effect could be obtained from a computer game similar to the jet trainers used to train pilots. No need to kill whales for the sport.

Train oil. The oil is very valuable. It's much finer than anything made from petroleum. Further it used to be used for lamps and cooking. Perhaps we will need to go back to culling whales for oil when the petroleum runs out.

Somewhere I read that whales eat plankton (sorry I don't recall the reference). Plankton eat critters that remove CO2 from the atmosphere (all that sea foam is from those dead critters). The plankton has increased reducing the number of critters (I know, critters: very precise and factual) removing the CO2. So killing whales contributes to global warming. Maybe we should stop harvesting whales altogether.

If we need the food or the oil maybe it's time to start whale farms (aquaculture: go large or go home). Closed containment of course. Else the sea lice will affect wild whale migrations....Just to mix a few metaphors.

Whale on the beach should be the rallying cry.

2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

3. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Like it or not, this thread is actually about racism. Not racism on WCP. We have it drilled into us that racism is #3 above.

Actually, in my opinion, Japanese whaling practices, dolphin herding, native whaling...all those are racism if we allow them to continue - as per #1 and #2 above.

We are all in this problem of facing the results of short-sighted actions by many cultures. If we allow certain cultures to continue to hunt the whales and such...that is racism. Un-racism (if I can make up a word) is all cultures and people working together to solve the problems of the earth.

Paul Watson? Endangering the lives of others in his practice is pushing it too far in my books. Some other laws? I'm sure they can find a law against everything we do. I think we need more Paul Watsons to make up for the majority of the rest of us that are sitting on the fence and not doing anything (or enough) to solve the problems.

4. stuckonearth

stuckonearth Paddler

Re:

And dolphins. I just recently watched the documentary titled The Cove about Japanese killing thousands and thousands of dolphins each year. If anyone discussing this topic has not seen this movie, I suggest that you do. So sad.

5. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I realize this is a 3 1/2 year old thread but the fight has been going on for a long while. Today however, that fight was finally won and the whales now stand a chance of being protected...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26818863

6. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Cool news.