• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Earthquake in Japan - Tsunami warning for west coast?

His son was staying/ working at a resort there this past week and was told to sail out of the marina to deep water and ride out the tsunami. He and a partner took the catamaran offshore with several other boaters following their lead. When they returned after the all clear, the beach was strewn with dozens of boats that had not fared well when the swell came ashore.

There is a tale from Chile (1960 quake) where the fishermen did that. When the tsunami came the water first drew out leaving the boats stranded on the bottom. Few survived when the water came back... It's a tactic that will only work in deep water.

That also happened in Thailand 2005??. My young friend and his GF and her parents where on Koepepe,(sp) and the parents went out fishing in the morning. When they came back everything was gone,,,they hadn't noticed anything because it was deep where they were. My Friend survived.

smeyn said:
Here is a video on the BBC. At 3 miles off-shore, the swell is still humongous:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12797471
So by the time it comes within half a mile to the shore it probably was already breaking and I doubt if it was survivable in a kayak.

Reminds me of paddling around Kwakiutl Point/Lawn Point in 5 metre swells! :clap: Thanks for posting... very impressive. That wave, since it is so dispraportionate from everything else around, is incredible.

When the tsunami arrived in the Ucluelet Inlet, it totally changed the usual behaviour of the waves and currents here for about half the day. The turmoil below the surface knocked out the cables that run between Ucluelet and Hit-tat-soo, so we were without cable tv or internet still it settled down and it was repaired.

I had our family car ready to go (up Mt Ozart) at 6:35 am after I heard about the tsunami warning at aprox 6 am. Having a go bag ready is great for these kinds of situations, I only hope I can stock it as fully as I would like in the future. If you drop by Ucluelet, visit the Community Center at Big Beach near Black Rock Resort, they have a handy map showing the areas low lying enough that they are most likely to affected in the event of a earthquake/tsunami ... though please note their emergency plans assume a smaller event than what I would consider prudent when it comes to emergency planning IMHO, especially when one considers the inland sand deposits that indicate BC has had some big earthquakes and accompanying tsunamis in the past ... though depending on how much warning time you get, you make have to make do with places like the Highschool (which hopefully will be rebuilt with earthquake damage resistant systems in a future upgrade) rather than passing through lower elevations to try to get to the higher elevations.

I can't believe some idiots actually headed to the nearest beach with their surf boards.

Back