Ecopoxy?

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Jurfie, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Anyone (*cough*Adave?*cough*) seen this before? Perhaps an alternative for those with sensitivities, and/or those wishing for a product friendlier to the planet?

http://www.ecopoxysystems.com/

Hellman Canoes (of BC) is using it:

2. Rrdstarr

Rrdstarr Paddler

That sounds good, But, I would like to see a real world comparison.

Call me a sceptic, but nothing cleans better then MEK, all the "Green and Safe" alternatives do not work as well.

All the old chemicals that were bad for the environment worked better then the newer alternatives!

Call me Grumpy!

3. rider

rider Paddler

Mixing the stuff into someone's peanut butter would make for one evil prank.
    And, you're grumpy.

4. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

My guess is that this is green BS. Just read the MSD sheets they provide. This stuff sounds just as bad, as non green epoxy.
    This epoxy contains Amines. We can become allergic to amines because the amines have a molecular structure that is a lot like protein.
    A green label is always alerts me that it could be just green manure.
    Green is the new Organic!

Roy

Don't food around with this stuff!

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Agree with Roy. I ran across this stuff a couple months ago and had the same reaction when I looked at the MSDS.

6. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Ah, so yet another example of "Greenwashing"?

That and, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..." :?

7. EcoPoxy Systems

EcoPoxy Systems New Member

Hello, My name is John from EcoPoxy Systems. I would like to thank you for posting about our products and I'd like to respond to some concerns about our products. Let me start by saying that many of you are correct when it comes to the term "greenwashing", lately more and more companies are using any reason to call their products or services "green", they may have toxic products, or harmful materials, etc. but if they put it in a recycled bucket, they call it "green" Go Figure... EcoPoxy is truly the "greenest choice available in today’s market." EcoPoxy is currently undergoing “GREENSEAL CERTIFICATION". Before approving any products through GreenSeal the product must be thoroughly researched by their chemists and staff, According to GreenSeal requirements EcoPoxy has proven to have NO TOXIC ORGANIC COMPOUNDS or HEAVY METALS in its composition. Our projected “Greenseal” certification date is year end.

Also understand and respect the concerns with peanut allergies, we have found through testing that not many people are allergic to our resins or hardeners, and when an allergic reaction is found, it is a mild rash that usually goes away in about 24 hours.

Our resins/hardeners are commonly used in Universities, Schools and Prisons to teach composites, whereas we have been told many times by staff or students that EcoPoxy is truly Odorless and safe to use indoors and does not affect air quality. This has also been proven by OSHA. OSHA performed an Air Quality Test and the results were a 0.00% PEL Rating, our VOC Test was done and met California air quality standards.

With Concerns of the MSDS Information, we are working to change our MSDS Sheets to read with our new testing data results. This will be done soon. In Closing I would like to thank all of you for taking the time to read this, if you have any questions you can email us at any time. info@ecopoxysystems.com we manufacture all our resins and hardeners, not just distribute.

NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT
    Our website is currently being updated to include 3 different hardeners (slow, medium and fast)
    You will also be able to purchase smaller amounts of our resins/hardeners and Color Top Coats. These updates should be completed by August 23, 2010

Thank you very much,
    Our goal is reach a greener future

John Marino
    EcoPoxy Systems
    http://www.ecopoxysystems.com
    jmarino@ecopoxysystems.com

8. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

John,

I'm a longtime synthetic organic chemist with over 20 years of carefully scanning MSDS sheets for material to be put into the hands of students in academic labs. I know how to ferret out what is in an MSDS, and I understand the language and nomenclature in an MSDS.

I'd be more polite in this response, but I can't see as much substance as I'd like in your response. If the currently published MSDS sheets do not accurately describe what's in your product, then how about telling everyone what is?

Secondly, if the product is an epoxy formulation and it has polyamines in it, then it is a skin sensitizer ... not for everyone and not right away, necessarily, but for part of the population of potential users, and possibly in a serious fashion.. The language used to dance around that is, plain and simple: misleading.

In short, I'm not buying any assertion that Ecopoxy is significantly less hazardous to work with than any other epoxy-based resin system ... that hazard is inherent in the nature of the monomers needed to copolymerize with each other. I don't have any fear about working with your product or any other modern epoxy system, because if properly warned, I can minimize the hazard using well-known techniques.

However, to put Ecopoxy forth as significantly less toxic or hazardous than other modern resin systems can mislead an unsophisticated user to skip the needed precautions which prevent sensitization. And, that is wrong.

If you have the data and the correct information on what the resin components are, I'd be happy to reverse my skepticism and begin using Ecopoxy.

How about it letting us know what you are actually selling?

9. hellman

hellman New Member

In response to the comments on Ecopoxy.
    We have built several boats with this resin over the last 4 months and tested them thoroughly.
    All results as far as durability where fantastic. The resin performed better in all ways to the petrolium based products I had been using.
    Some of my workers had reactions to the old resin systems I had been using but we have had no reactions to the Ecopoxy resin. We have now developed an epoxy getlcoat using Ecopoxy . It is very hard and abbrasion resistant, flexible and very UV resistant.
    The product is also much easier to use.
    We always protect ourselves very well with resperators , gloves and aprons whenever using any chemicals.
    I am totally sold on Ecopoxy.
    Bob Hellman
    Hellman Canoes and Kayaks