Epic 16X and 18X Sport

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by oiddad, Mar 28, 2013.

1. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Hey all, does anyone know much about the Epic 16X as an all round boat? Want one for quick estuary paddling, overnight river/bay expeditions and day cruising come sticky beaking open waters on calm days. I have heard a bit about the 18X sport and I am lining up a test paddle in both the 16 and 18X.

2. oiddad

oiddad Paddler

Paddled both boats over the Easter break and enjoyed the stability, predictability and pure speed of the 18X Sport. Took it out in some lumpy bumpy stuff and always felt in control. The rudder system works great and the seating is very comfortable once adjusted. The handy day hatch behind is easily accessible and a very good size for food, water, suncream, phone and keys and fairly water tight. One thing ...... it seems to be very dependent on the rudder as the boat suffered from pretty harsh weathercocking even though the wind wasn't anything extraordinary but this was its only negative during the paddle. Very tempted to go with this model or should I keep testing? The Tiderace Pace 17 is also on my list as it has some very good write ups in Sydney town. What do you think.

3. Reef

Reef Paddler

I paddled the 16 (not the X) years back and enjoyed it. But really enjoyed the 18X except for some leaking into the hatches in small waves. I am used to trad sea kayaks that are often very dry. The combination of maneuverability and speed in the 18x is totally different than what many trad sea kayaks offer. Often people thought/think that they are exclusive of each other.
    Yup, the 18X is rudder dependent, but the trade off is great fun in downwinds and catching small waves. I was really impressed with its ability to surf across a wake, not just perpendicular to the wave.
    I don't know anything about the Pace at all.