• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Favourite gelcoat?

AM

Paddler
Hey folks, it's time for me to attend to the many chips and dings in my boat's gelcoat, but unfortunately I don't have any left from the last job I did and I can't remember what I bought last time. I'd appreciate any recommendations on your favourite type of gelcoat.

Cheers,
Andrew

What gelcoat choices are available to you?
I haven't looked very hard, but in Victoria it's mostly whatever Industrial Plastics has on the shelf.

I am pretty sure that gel coat is gel coat. Is there a specific colour you are trying to match? Waxed or unwaxed with depend on whether it is a top coat or not. Unwaxed will not fully cure in the presence of air but you can easily add another layer if needed without sanding. Waxed for final coat will harden so you can sand smooth to bring out the shine.

Is there a good source -either local to Victoria, or a place that will ship by mail - that carries 'standard' colours of gelcoat?
I'm lousy at tinting 'by eye' and I have a newly scratched boat with Roberts Grey gelcoat on the hull.
Oh, and I don't need a gallon of it! :yikes: :D

Back