• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

FIRE!!

DarenN

Paddler
i got the call about 3:00 PM wednesday, at work. my shop was on fire.

it could have been a lot worse. when i got home the firefighters were just finishing up, making sure the fire was totally out. tools and equipment were not damaged beyond smoke and water damage. i lost some fiberglass cloth that had been stored near where the fire started. it's all soaked with fire retardent chemicals and i won't even bother to try and save it. the s&g and the poly Chatham were hanging on the wall opposite the corner where the fire was. the Chatham seems to have sufferred no damage. the s&g has some fairly large, discoloured blisters from the heat. the King was on stands on the floor and suffered from the heat as well, showing a few blisters. it was right-side-up and was full of water. i dumped it out but i'll have to wait till it dries to be able to tell if it can be saved. Micks little SOFistry was also on stands on the floor and completely escaped damage. happily, my SOF was in the house where i have been working on sewing on the new skin.

the fire inspector had come and gone by the time i got home, so i didn't get the chance to set him straight. he saw fiberglass cloth and just assumed that MEK would be present and blamed the fire on it. Mick and i looked over the area quite closely last evening and the fire was clearly started by an electrical fault. that corner of the shop was only used as dry storage.

let the clean-up begin!

DarenN..........

Oh no - that's terrible! Hopefully the damage is minimal all around. Will insurance cover any of the costs? I can't imagine what an insurance company would say about damages to a self-crafted boat, but I'm sure it would not be good news, and regardless you'd have to do the repairs yourself anyway. Good luck!

Shitty Daren... Echoing Mark, hopefully you will get some insurance coverage and are not out too much. That must be the ultimate of fears in losing boats and the like and I feel for you.

Brad

Holy crap! Sorry to hear this Daren. Sounds like it could have been a whole lot worse had it not been for the response of the fire department. Did a neighbour notice smoke?

simply unbelievable the minor amount of damage that occurred. Especially when you consider all the fuel inside. No chemicals were where the fire clearly started - if there were, i/m sure everthing would be gone.

sofistry is basically a stack of kindling waiting to be lit, and it was only about 6' from the fire and yet just got water damage.

this could never happen in real life!!

whoever called in the fire should get a medal, as should the fire dept for getting there on time. amazing good luck out a potential horrible (material and workwise) disaster.

I am most most interested to see the damage and what daren does to fix both his beautiful s&g design 'sarkak' and the half finished King - the hull ext was glassed, the interior not - and it got full of water.

(we have already started trying to think up new names for the king - daren came up with 'Broil King', me 'BBQing' - i would be interested in hearing others, heh heh)

Dave;
it LOOKS like either a three way light switch or a yard light timer caused the short circuit.

Dan;
the FD said it was a passer-by that called it in. just somebody useing the driveway to turn around.

DarenN.....

mick_allen said:
(we have already started trying to think up new names for the king - daren came up with 'Broil King', me 'BBQing' - i would be interested in hearing others, heh heh)

that said; we won't know till it dries if it will ever be anything more than "KINDLE-KING." :cry:

this post was interrupted by a call from the fire inspector. his report will now read that the probable cause was an electrical fault in the timer for the yard light. MEK has been ruled out as it was not present.

DarenN......

Glad no one was hurt and hopefully damage will be minimal when you can do a full inspection (knock on wood...glassed in or not).

Talk about good Karma Daren. If that person had not made a wrong turn and needed to turn around in your drive....no telling what the outcome would have been.

Hmm. if you were paddling in Florida I'd suggest "Smoker Kingfish"

Or after a smoked hot pepper ...Chipotle King

Regards

Randy

that said; we won't know till it dries if it will ever be anything more than "KINDLE-KING."

that's a great one! made me think of:

'Kingdling'

Ohhhh sheeesh Daren?

I am sooo sorry to hear this? What a blow????

It must be really messy in there? 8O

Good to hear that not all is lost, although cleaning all that up is going to be a task for sure.

Here's hoping the King can be salvaged?

Best regards,

Graham

Back