First time builder, Borealis XL, wood issues

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by DougCo, Aug 28, 2016.

1. DougCo

DougCo New Member

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a long time while I build my Borealis and have gained some valuable knowledge; thanks. I have run into an issue that I can't find anywhere on the web.

A little background; bought my kayak last year from the second owner and believe it was originally purchased back in 2006.

I have the hull together and am getting ready for the saturation coat but then noticed some of the wood on both upper bow pieces are flaking. Sanding only makes it worse. There are some gouges (see pictures) that are fairly deep. Not sure what to do about them and if they will impact the hull integrity. Can I fiberglass over these or fill them or....?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO

2. Kayak Jim

Kayak Jim Paddler

I would fill the gouges so there are no voids under the glass. Don't quite know what you mean by "flaking"? Is the ply delaminating? Is the inside surface sound at those spots? If so the saturation coat should hold everything together if you work it into those areas.

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Are you going to paint the boat or varnish it?

4. DougCo

DougCo New Member

Thanks for the quick replies. It does look like the wood is delaminating.

The inside is sound and I plan on varnishing it. I love the look of a varnished kayak and will just call the blemishes 'character'.

Would you fill the gouges with epoxy and wood flour or just epoxy?

Thanks,

Doug

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Doug:
    No matter what you do, the marks will show, or 'add character' ! :D
    If it were my project, I'd probably try to fill with straight epoxy, though it's a bit tricky to do so.
    Put the boat on its side so gravity is helping you. Work epoxy into the problem areas and then cover with clean (clear) plastic. Try to smooth out the plastic so that there aren't any air bubbles showing.
    IMO, it's better to do this in a couple of stages if necessary rather than pouring on a lot of epoxy and having to deal with a lot of drips.

If you use wood flour in the epoxy, it will look fine as well (not so dark, probably). Use the plastic and try to get the surface fairly level as you don't want to do much more sanding in that area- the face veneers are not very thick.

If you have some strong magnets (do you save old hard drive magnets, or have the strong LeeValley magnets?) you can improvise some flat clamping pressure, but it's not necessary.

Once you get the area stabilized with epoxy, I think it will be fine to continue with glassing.
    Nobody will notice the 'problem' except for you- your boat will look fine!

6. DougCo

DougCo New Member

Hi John,

Thanks for the tip. I think I will do the straight epoxy. I am hoping to get to it this weekend and will post pictures of the results.

Thanks again for the help

Doug

7. DougCo

DougCo New Member

I filled in the gouges the best I could and it seems to be working. I did the saturation coat and then fiberglass and 2 coats of epoxy over that during the weekend. (see pics) It is turning out nice, may be a 10 footer (ie; from at least 10 feet away she will look great! just don't do an up close inspection :lol:
    Thanks again for the help

Doug

8. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Doug:
    Looks great!
    :big_thumb :big_thumb

9. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Looks terrific, Doug.