Foot brace recomendations.

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Day_Sailer, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Day_Sailer

Day_Sailer Paddler

Any experiences with these different foot braces:
    Regular Keepers.
    Aluminum Keepers.
    Slide Lock Foot Braces http://www.alpinesportsoutlet.com/p-507 ... eid=10056&
    Sea Dog Foot Braces http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/ca ... /index.htm (notice these can be ordered with glue on studs or thru bolt)

The Slide Lock and Sea Dogs have the adjustment lever. That seems like it would be a useful feature, if they are as reliable as the regular Keepers I have in my current Kayaks.

The Duckworks site has other useful prducts too, plus the system three founder interview that I posted in another thread.

DS

2. west_coast_russ

west_coast_russ Paddler

I had a boat with the Sea-Dog braces - I liked them very much. They were really handy when multiple paddlers would use the boat.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I've used the nylon Keepers -- they work ok but I found that the rails tend to bend a bit after a lot of use. They can also lose their ability to hold securely on the rails after prolonged use.

What you refer to as aluminum Keepers, I believe are actually Yakima foot braces (made by Werner Paddles). These are my foot brace of preference if no rudder controls are required. They're very solid, and so long as they are installed correctly, with the drains down, sand and debris wash out of the rails easily. I've experienced years of use with Yakima foot braces without any kind of trouble at all. If there's a downside to them, it's that they can be a bit difficult to adjust from inside the boat -- not so much a problem if you don't need to move them much.

I've also used SeaDogs with rudder controls and very much prefer them to sliding rudder controls. Haven't used the foot peg only version, but agree with Russ that they'd be good in a boat where the pegs are adjusted frequently by multiple paddlers.

I'm not familiar with the Slide Lock braces.

4. woodensoul

woodensoul Paddler

I'll echo Dan's preference for the Yakima's. I've looked at using others but haven't found anything I like better. They do need a shot of WD40 after a couple of seasons, but they are generally pretty bomb proof.

5. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

I have a set of the Seadog foot braces on my ice Kap. I've only had the boat since April, 2009 and I like them. No long term usage from foot pegs as I only started paddling kayaks September of 2008.

I demo'd a few boats that used the Harmony foot braces. The one thing I didn't like is if you didn't slide the adjustment rod into the correct position, sometimes the foot pegs would slip.

6. Oldpro

Oldpro Paddler

Footbrace recommendations

And I prefer the SealLine SmartTrack footbraces. Easy adjustability, and secure once set.

Oldpro :lol:

7. rider

rider Paddler

I have the Slidelock braces in my Tsunami and SeaDog in my Sirocco, and had the generic aluminum Yakimas in my Chatham and another Sirocco. Out of the 3, my preference is definetely with SeaDog,so far. Best footing,comfortable, easy to adjust. Also, the aluminum Yakima tracks are prone to mounting bolts getting totaly seized in them unless you remove them once a season at least and use some copper anti seize. Dissimilar metals+saltwater=no move.

8. dut

dut Paddler

Foot brace recomendations

I have the Harmony foot braces in my Tempest. I find them comfortable and solid. I was able to kick one loose in a rental boat once. The fix for that is locking down the release rods with nylon zip ties.

Barry

9. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Are the Seadog Footbraces really that strong?
    Just a thought on that?

From the photos they look a little flimsy?

10. gnarlydog

gnarlydog Paddler

from what I hear the Seadog foot braces are not that strong.
    I know of one user (light person) that broke them.
    Not happy with just replacing them I suggested he farbricate his own.
    He did and solved the problem of average flexible/flimsy foot pegs.
    I don't mind the Yakima ones but they offer a very small platform for your feet.
    If paddling efficiently is your thing where pushing with your feet is part of the stroke maybe Yakima pegs are a bit undersized.
    I fabricated my own foot brace that offers more support/options.
    Details at http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/ ... brace.html
    Modifications for Yakima pegs: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2009/ ... ation.html

11. Iwannapaddle

Iwannapaddle Paddler

Some pretty sturdy and strong footbraces there gnarly :)

I'd like to see a sturdier and stronger option for a SOF - using a footbrace bar like that would limit access to the foredeck compartment if one has no fore-hatches.

Although those modified footpegs you show look awesome.