freeze dry

Discussion in 'Meals and Menu Planning' started by Roy222, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Has anyone attempted to freeze dry food using the $10 vacuum baggers that are sold in the food stores? Would this work?
    1. bag the food in the special bags with some cloth material placed that the
    vacuum port.
    2. press flat
    3. freeze
    4. remove from freezer and pull a vacuum.

Roy

2. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Haven't tried it, but I can't imagine the little home sealing units ((I've got one) would have enough "pull" to suck embedded, crystalized ice out of frozen food.
    The commercial makers use industrial grade vacumn units, and, if I remember correctly, are sucking the moisture out while the food is freezing.

3. dut

dut Paddler

While I'm sure my knowledge of freeze drying is incomplete, no your vacuum bagger won't do it.

It's not just sucking the ice crystals out. Freeze drying involves a process of removing the water by freezing and then removing the water as a vapour. This trick is called sublimation, the ice changes to vapour without going through the liquid state.

For all I know it's magic.

Barry

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Typically done by cooling the food in a rotating cylinder using a vacuum. Not exotic, but some investment needed.

5. blondie

blondie Paddler

As well, I'm pretty sure that the temperatures required are much colder than can be achieved with a conventional freezer.

6. Lucilla

Lucilla New Member

Hi,
    I personally use and love Thrive Life foods.
    They come to you washed, peeled, chopped, (even cooked, when it comes to the meats) and ready.
    To use for cooking you measure the amount you want, add a very small amount of water for a minute or two (to reconstitute/rehydrate) then use as you would your fresh products.
    They sell the single ingredients, so you can prepare your "meal in a jar" at home and cook it when you camp.
    The quality is very high (GMO free, no preservatives/salt/sugar added), nothing compare to what you buy at the stores!
    Has anyone ever try this brand?

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

8. Lucilla

Lucilla New Member

Hello,
    yes, I do sell this brand:
    http://healthyrecipes.thrivelife.com/

Take a look at the website and feel free to post your questions. I really thing these foods are just perfect for outdoors people.
    I'm not sure it's ok if I advertise a brand on this forum, so please just let me know if it is not :oops:

9. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

We don't allow blatant advertising on the site but this is fine as it's directly relevant to the discussion. Thanks for letting us know about this product.

10. Kootenayman

Kootenayman Paddler

I have tried some sample of these product and was very impressed. The hamburger was excellent but the ice cream is unreal. Very reasonable cost as well