fresh blog blitherings - throwline discussion

Discussion in 'Paddling Safety' started by mick_allen, Feb 13, 2019.

1. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I'm OK with a course change on topics, since it's still kayaking related. So about kayak colours: I've ordered my last two boats with a yellow deck (hi vis, contrasts nicely in photos) and an international orange hull. Because the default hull colour of white blends in perfectly with big breaking seas, which are just the sort of conditions in which you might be swimming beside your upturned boat and hoping SAR sees you.

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

The first thing that other boaters will spot will be my paddle blades, so for my 'regular' paddle (Werner Cyprus) I've sprayed the blades white. When Mariner had Lightning making their carbon paddles, they had them put white pigment in the blade resin. With the carbon fiber craze nowadays, it's tough to cover it up! :)

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

As John says, on the water, in daylight when the sun is out, most people pick up the flash of paddles from kayakers, with white blades the most visible. At dusk, only if they are highly reflective will they show, most situations. If stranded on the beach, a waved paddle usually shows best.

On hull colors, I may be the source of the claim that light blue shows well. The SAR helo crews told me that, over 25 years ago. I think I read it here, early days, also, but I cannot be sure of that.