Freya Circumnavigates Aussie Solo

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by elmo, Dec 1, 2008.

1. elmo

elmo Paddler

Gotta give the lady credit. This is a monster of an undertaking :shock:

http://qajaqunderground.com/expeditions/australia-2008/

I do worry about the step many kayakers take from living the life, to the life defining who they are. Victims of their own popularity? How many kayaking celebrities wish for anonymity I wonder?

Either way the lady has my best wishes, and I'll be following her travels with great interest.
    daniel

2. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

Thanks for posting this Daniel. 8) I will be following her with great interest as well.

I'm not sure that popularity has much to do with it...I think it is probably just that responding to the challenge is addictive. Paul Caffyn talked about it a bit in (was it) This is the Sea 3 saying that each time he finished a trip he told himself never again. Then next thing he knew he was planning another. I think if you get too caught up in the addiction you end up as driven as Andrew McAuley - like you say, the expedition takes over your life and in his case took his life. Just my opinion. I still totally admire their drive and I will totally enjoy following her trip and wish her well.

3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Kasey wrote: I'm not sure that popularity has much to do with it...I think it is probably just that responding to the challenge is addictive. Paul Caffyn talked about it a bit in (was it) This is the Sea 3 saying that each time he finished a trip he told himself never again. Then next thing he knew he was planning another.

It may not be so different for world-standard paddlers such as Paul and Freya than it is for the rest of us. I feel so much more a whole person the eighth day out on an extended paddle adventure than I ever do at home or in any city. Yeah, I know that hunger for a shower, a decent sit-down toilet, and a greasy burger/beer combo on day twelve, but two days later, clean and well-fed, I'm thinking about the next one.

We forget about the discomfort and the halo of wild places takes over.

4. andreas

andreas Paddler

Crazy German :lol: :wink:

5. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Andreas, I know that you would like to join Freya on her journey, but due to your business commitments you have to stay in Victoria. Oh well, perhaps next time she may decide to go around VI. You will have another opportunity then. :twisted:

6. andreas

andreas Paddler

Freya actually is a business owner herself... i would like to know how she manages to find all that time to go paddling :roll:

Who knows, maybe in 5 years, after my first heart attack :roll: and after I have sold my company I will pack my boat and enjoy my $$$$$$$$ :lol:

7. elmo

elmo Paddler

Now THERE'S a man with a plan ;)

8. mikemike

mikemike Paddler

I wish her all the best + from a kayakers perspective it is definitely one of the most challenging circumnavigations on earth. Honestly, I shake in my boots at the very thought of trying such a thing.

Fairweather Freya.

MM

9. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

I'm lucky to get a 4-day weekend... I went 9 years without a vacation and then only got a week off this spring. How anyone can take a year off is beyond me.

Craig

10. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Craig, most likely Freya is in the same shoes. She just managed to combine pleasures with responsibilities in a way that most of us wouldn't even dream of.
    [​IMG]

Keep also in mind that life was not supposed to be fair to most of us.

11. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

Yeah... that's why I don't feel so bad about the five years I took off when I was 39 to sail around the Pacific. :lol:

Craig

12. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

Holy CRAP!...did you notice the size of her biceps in one of the photos on her website? :shock:

[​IMG]

ahhh...errr...not to mention...she's a fine looking Lady as well... :oops:

Hope she has a successful expedition.

Let's see...heaven would be a Menage-a-Paddle with her and Cheri Perry...
    One can dream. :wink: :twisted:

13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Ken,

Freya's expertise and expeditioneering abilities are what I admire most; the attractive physical attributes are just icing on the cake, although in the world we live in, they certainly assist in marketing her exploits.

Bling is bling. It is a damn good thing I don't have to leverage a living on the looks of MY bod!

Back to groveling in shavings and on to SoCal for the Dad's 90th.

14. elmo

elmo Paddler

I think she's planning to do it on a glorifed surf-ski no less :shock:

15. elmo

elmo Paddler

It's an addictive freedom out there Kathy. I can understand the desire to 'just try it' that she has. Paul Caffyn is cut of similiar cloth. They both have my respect. They are ordinary people - like the rest of us - just trying to get by - doing something they both love.

daniel

16. skiffrace

skiffrace Paddler

RE: Freya Hoffmeister

To gain more balanced view of this person you may want to read the "Lost in Iceland" in October 2008 issue of Sea Kayaker Magazine (written by Quajaq USA head Greg Stamer - Freya's ex-boyfriend)

There are other materials too, after reading which one is inclined to agree with what Brian Schulz wrote in this thread on Quayaq Forum:
    http://qajaqusa.org/cgi-bin/GreenlandTe ... read=80574

17. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

I find it very difficult to believe that she was not scared at any point going around New Zealand. Paul Caffyn quite openly admitted his fear at many points. Freya may not be as humble as we might deem necessary...and I'm thinking when you look like her it may be more difficult to be humble. If people aren't putting her on a pedestal just for her looks, then they are because of her accomplishments in a kayak. None of us know another person's mind (we're lucky if we can figure ourselves out a bit...) and Freya doesn't strike me as a very open person - I wonder what pressure she puts on herself to keep up the facade. :wink: Whether we want to admit it or not - we all put on a facade for the world....and hers is maybe by circumstances a little larger. And I don't know how much credence we should put in the stated opinion of an ex of hers - I cringe to think what some of our exes might say about us. :shock: That said, I just ordered that issue to read both that article and the profile written of Paul Caffyn. Isn't it great that we are all different in this world?!

18. oldsailor

oldsailor Paddler

There are surely a lot of egos involved in the sport nowadays. It comes with the modern focus on kayaking I guess. When you combine notoriety with the sorts of rewards that notoriety can bring (or that people hope it can bring) I suppose it's inevitable. I'd like to think that no one is being forced into a corner by the expectations of others but I have to say that a lot of the "first (whoever) to do (whatever)" bothers me quite a bit. I'm not sure what these accomplish other than marketing.

But because of the potential for ego clashes, I would certainly take any remarks from one kayak personality about another with more than just a grain of salt.

As for myself, I'd much rather read a trip report by Dan and Maddie or Monster or any of the other paddlers who share their day-to-day experiences (and photographs) with the rest of us here. I don't care who's first to paddle Pitt Lake. I just like knowing that Maddie can stand up in her kayak when I can barely stand up in the shower. :lol:

Craig

19. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Once you take a year out you'll never again be satisfied with a 4-day weekend. The difficulty will be in giving up the freedom.

20. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Re: RE: Freya Hoffmeister

Oh, she's done with him now too, is she? :shock: