Freya Circumnavigates Aussie Solo

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by elmo, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

3 days ago she paddled 120 km = 75 statute miles = 65 nautical miles in a day.

Extraordinary.

2. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

3. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Ken,
    Finally pulled that kit apart. Thanks for the promt, most stuff was too far gone (rust, bubble packaging - which does double duty as the epoxy mixing tub - was all holed from crushing, etc).

I've got most of my new kit together. Before I send the details, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion of carrying a long reciprocating blade. The long ones would allow sufficient hand grip if taped to allow some good saw action. I can get a carbide edged one too really cheap where I work, as well as the regular teeth at various TPI configurations. I'm trying to make my kit compact and light in anticipation of a new but low volume kayak.

Doug L

4. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Zuytdorp Cliffs Completed!

Looks like she had a bad time of it too.

5. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Looks like day 232 was hard for Freya too in breaking 5m swell; she turned back for 25km - lots of bad surf. I'm glad she turned back and knows her limits (or at least when to stay on the prudent side of her limits - which are higher than most for sure).

Doug L

6. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

[​IMG]

Just a *tad* beyond my comfort level...

7. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

8. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

Good lord, she is STILL at it?! I would have given up/gotten tired of it, after a couple of weeks, tops. I suppose that is why I'm not a big time expedition paddler.

It sounds crazy, but this is the first thing I thought when I read this:

She's gonna put at least ten years on her face, doing this trip. Even with a big hat, and the best moisturizing regime, an expedition like this could turn even the prettiest face into a beat up old catchers mitt!

Screw the alligators, and sharks etc. My main concern would be keeping my looks!

I'd almost want to wear some sort of veil, like an Arab, or Michael Jackson. (Not our Mike Jackson) Heck, maybe a hijab would actually be the most appropriate choice.
    And some huge old person, wrap around sun glasses.

It would be quite the look :cool

9. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

Each to his own I suppose.

I would prefer to have circumnavigation of Australia as a checked item on my bucket list. Not going to happen; some of the paddling she is doing is well above my ability.

10. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Cafyynn looked pretty haggard on his trip 'round Aussie, and that was at the half way mark. Anyway, our looks go downhill pretty quick, even without any expeditioning. Memories last until the last breath you take - well, at least for most of us.

Still lance_randy looks good in his black n' white n' red Rockpool even as he and the kayak age. Must be all that moisturizing from Geenland rolls. :D :D

11. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Lance, you and I have completely different priorities, in appearance and women. Freya rocks in so many ways it makes my teeth hurt. She is an icon for all of us, men, women, you name it. More power to her.

12. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

Well of course she is, I'm just sayin'... she's braver than I.

13. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Good on ya, mate! She's killer, no?

14. lance_randy

lance_randy Paddler

She is indeed. She's a Super German. The Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the Johnny Cash of sea kayaking, all rolled into one.

I fed Freyas picture into one of those expensive FBI computers, the ones that can project what a person will look like twenty years from now; programmed with all the variables that she is likely to encounter on her trip, et voila..
    [​IMG]

15. Dan_Millsip

16. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Only 180 Nautical miles = 360 kilometers to go.

That is about a week's paddling for Freya. She has averaged 67 km daily for the last 11 days. One gets the impression she is driving hard to get it done ASAP.

What an awesome feat.

http://www.vskc.org.au/ExpedDashboard.asp?ExpedID=3

17. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Further stats:

Paul Caffyn 1982
    Total paddling days 257, total trip time 361 days

Freya, so far:
    Paddling days 233, trip time 319 days.

:shock:

18. ken_vandeburgt

ken_vandeburgt Paddler

She's on track to blow the doors off Caffyn's record. I am amazed that she is able to stay focussed and paddles the distances that she is doing.

I too get the impression that she is wanting to finish it. After a year of paddling I would be so over with it.

Does it count to circumnavigate Australia if you don't also go around Tasmania?

19. AM

AM Paddler

Caffyn's 'record' is for first circumnavigation -- no one can take that away. Was he really going for fastest speed? I wonder if he even thought anyone would try to do Australia after he did.

In the latest Sea Kayaker Freya gets the balance right: she firmly asserts the extraordinary nature of her pending accomplishment, while tipping her hat to Paul Caffyn for doing what he did without the benefit of a trailblazer. And without GPS!

20. Dan_Millsip

Record or not, I'm impressed.