Freya Hoffmeister

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Bluenose, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Yeti

Yeti Paddler

Check #17

2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I think Nootka and I both are thinking of Columbia Cove on the 'SE' side of the Brooks Peninsula, which matches Freya's text description and also fits with the stated paddling distance round Brooks, I think.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/50%C2 ... 3062?hl=en

3. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Right, that makes sense. I edited the map to show the correct location. I looked at it and thought that it was an awful long day for her to get around the Brooks Peninsula. Freya posted her location incorrectly and I went by those lat long coordinates in the links in her post (a simple copy/paste) to generate the map coordinates.

Please let me know if you come across other errors.

4. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Way cool map, Bryan. They have really made some miles last few days.

5. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

7. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

8. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Yes, it sounds really bad, since Freya mentioned doing kayak repairs (on a new boat??) a couple of times already on this leg of her trip.
    It sounds like this is one of the (last??) Point65 Freya kayaks. I'd read that the production was being shifted to Lettmann, and I mentioned something about that, earlier in this thread.
    There are complaints online about Point65 build quality on the XP18 and the Whiskey 16. It's a pity since they, along with the Freya, are interesting designs.
    According to reports, Point65 is getting out of the glass boat business.

9. GeroV

GeroV Paddler

10. chodups

chodups Paddler

She's left the Inside for the Outside Passage. Good girl!

11. chodups

chodups Paddler

Freya's first choice for a campsite out of Bella Bella is an interesting one. That islet is 600-ish meters in front of the Heiltsuk cabin on Cockle Bay. The cabin is in plain sight. I wonder if the cabin was obviously occupied. It is the site of some local debauchery and may not have been safe or desirable for a single paddler.

The Tuesday campsite at the west end of Higgins Passage is a wonderful place. A favorite, though Denis Dwyer did have a bear issue there.

Wednesday she camped at Disju, the site of a 450 year old long house that has mostly returned to the forest over the past 10 years. It is a Kitasoo reserve. I assume she had permission from the tribe. It's a lovely spot and last I heard it had been posted as no trespassing.

From Disju to Baker Point can be an easy paddle if wind and tides are in your favor. She faced a contrary ebb until mid-afternoon. Anyone know what the wind was today? Baker Point is a nice spot.

12. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Freya appears to be heading up the exposed west side of Banks Island. Does anyone have insight of why that choice? From my prairie armchair, the inside/east side of Banks Island through Principe Channel and possibly Petrel Channel and on to the Ogden Channel seems to make more sense for a paddler heading to Prince Rupert. It seems like it should be shorter and more protected. Would currents be an issue the makes the outside route a better choice for Freya? I know that she does this for the adventure, and doesn't always choose what might be the easier or shorter route, so it may simply be she chose the route with the higher adventure or interest for her.
    Cheers,
    Bryan

13. chodups

chodups Paddler

I was surprised by that choice, also. Maybe because it's there?

Between ~7AM and 1PM she should have had a favorable flood current pushing her north. Not a screaming tidal exchange today. I don't think that there were any significant winds so it was probably a good day to be outside. Here's my guess. Freya has paddled more miles and seen more coastlines than maybe all of us combined. We paddle the Inside Passage and circumnavigate Vancouver Island while she paddles around continents. I suspect that, while goal driven, she gets bored looking at unchanging shoreline. I go outside because I find it more interesting. I suspect she does too. She doesn't shrink from exposure, likes to get knocked around a bit and seems drawn to the scent of a fresh breeze that lacks the scent of decay. It was probably an easy choice for her to make and felt more like "home".

14. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Perhaps there's some requirement to go outside 'offshore' islands to make it a true circumnavigation?

15. chodups

chodups Paddler

I don't think so because that would have put her outside of Goose, McMullin Group, the Bardswell Group, Price, Aristazabal, etc. She stayed inside after Bella Bella and then went sorta out to Laredo Sound/Channel. I think that for what she is doing she can call her own shot and until someone wants to unseat her record and actually go outside of everything it will do the job.

16. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

That pretty much sums it up. She paddles where she wants. ;)

17. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Chodups wrote: She doesn't shrink from exposure, likes to get knocked around a bit and seems drawn to the scent of a fresh breeze that lacks the scent of decay. It was probably an easy choice for her to make and felt more like "home".

Gotta love that attitude! She is very calculating, and not given to gratuitous risks. We got a pretty good look at her assessment and risk analysis skills coming up from Port Renfrew to Barkley Sound, a stretch of shoreline familiar to many, but her first shot at "outside" and she took a day or two on the beach.

With the damaged hull, I imagine she will avoid dumping surf of any real size.

18. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Freya's Monday 5/8 floating dock campsite must be a left over from the Yellow Giant Gold Mine that was shut down July 2015, the google map pic shows the crew lodging and the road leading up to the various mining operations. I suspect the lodge has been removed

Chodups, Greg and I paddled past the outside of Foul bay in Aug 2015 after checking the chart marked Wreck island campsite, On this wet and dreary day there was no interest in checking out the Gold Mine landing.
    We were on a search for a better campsite........ I think Freya has found Bank Islands outer coast perfect campsite, A Floating Dock !

Dave R

19. chodups

chodups Paddler

Hope she didn't gather water there.

20. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler