Gas Canister Recycling?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarenN, Jun 4, 2009.

1. DarenN

DarenN Paddler

I recently heard a rumor that MEC has started accepting empty gas canisters for recycling. can anyone confirm this? Kayakwriter, do you know anything about this?

it would be nice to know that i can forget about trying to come up with some ingenious way to make a woodburning stove out of empty canisters, to keep them out of the landfill. :)

Daren.......

2. rider

rider Paddler

They had that for a while, some time ago. But i thought they stopped recently?

3. blondie

blondie Paddler

I've taken my primus-type canisters back to MEC. They just needed to be completely empty (ie, pierce the bottom with a nail to make sure). I haven't brought any back lately, but this always was the case, so I don't know if something has changed along the way.

4. angeles

angeles New Member

Although I've never returned any to MEC yet, it was under my understanding that they do recycle these canisters. But it seems to depend on the store itself.

Their website states:

Fuel Canisters

MEC Victoria recycles butane-propane canisters such as those from Primus, MSR, Brunton, and Snowpeak. Sorry but we do not recycle propane cylinders. Please bring your empty canisters to the Member Service Desk.

However the Vancouver and North Vancouver stores say this.

At present we are unable to recycle fuel canisters. For information on where they can be recycled contact your municipal recycling department

cheers,
    Allan