• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Gearlab Greenland paddle size

how do the blade widths compare?
weights?
have you tried a variety of greenland paddles?
why do you want a gearlab? have you done a test demo?
have you tried a euro? an aleutian?
are you going to do much surfing or rock gardening?
Also, it is often an advantage to have dissimilar paddles.

There is no way I can test demo. I live in TN LOL. Dubside rand through a bunch of two-piecers for me and he recommended the Gearlab. He likes the replaceable tips, which I do too. I need a 2-piece for when I travel by plane--I paddle a lot when I come up to Van to visit my mom, and it's often hard or impossible to get a GL paddle from rental places.

It's 3 cm difference one way and 1.5 the other way, which shouldn't make too much difference either way, right?

Blade widths are the same. Loom length is, oddly, a little narrower on the Gearlab, but only by 3/4". I have no idea how much mine weighs. I handled a Gearlab last week but didn't paddle with it (the guy was on the beach but wasn't paddling with us), and it felt good.

Anyway, it's what I want. Just not sure whether to get the 210 or the 215!

5 cm isn't that great a difference. If you feel like you want longer or shorter with your current, that would lead you toward the way to go. But otherwise, I'd go with the closer one in size to what you currently use.

I paddle with a Gearlab GL paddle (Oyashio 220cm) and it is very buoyant compared to other GL paddles. I have a slightly shorter Gearlab length than my other paddles, which I find works well with the highly buoyant feel.

5 cm isn't that great a difference. If you feel like you want longer or shorter with your current, that would lead you toward the way to go. But otherwise, I'd go with the closer one in size to what you currently use.
My wooden paddle feels perfect. Which is, I guess, why I'm asking -- I want the new one to be as similar to it as possible!

Was your wooden paddle built to suit your Tsunami as well as your body?
If so, going shorter might, eventually (as your stroke adapts), suit the narrower and shallower Pilgrim X better. On the other hand, if you are buying it mainly to bring it along on your travels to use with rental boats, slightly longer would accommodate the fact that the average rental boat has likely bigger dimensions than the Pilgrim X.

I also believe that the more mileage you have the faster your brain unconsciously adjusts to a slightly different paddle.

Just my two cents, of course.

I am mostly getting it for travel on planes, which means rental boats. But will use it with my boat as well. I don't know if Bill at Lumpy Paddles took my boat into account, but probably, right? I'll get the 210 then. :)

Bought a Nukilik (has shoulders)this past fall. Nice paddle. Stiff, light and joint fits beautifully. Prompt delivery from Asia. Yes, the replaceable tips are a plus as I’ve driven mine into rocks a number of times. You’ll love the paddle.

Back