Gel coat cure times

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by Mark_Schilling, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I'm doing some minor repairs to the Explorer, mainly consisting of a few patches of gel-coat. But I don't have any good instructions. How long should I wait after the newly applied gel-coat cures, before I get it wet? We're thinking of doing a pool session this evening but only applied it last night. Sanding will happen this afternoon.

Thanks!

2. rjoutnorth

rjoutnorth Paddler

I'm not sure on the amount of time you should wait Mark but for me I wait at least 24 hours. Also the amounts of catalyst and resin will determine how fast the repair hardens. I've put too little catalyst in the mix and ended up with the repair being too soft and having to redo . Take some extra time to sand so that it kinda polishes.

3. rider

rider Paddler

I'd think that if it's cured enough to be sanded/polished, it's plenty cured enough to go in the water.

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Thanks guys! I managed to get hold of Andreas after posting this; it cured nicely overnight and I sanded it the next afternoon. Looks pretty good, although it does (obviously) have that 'beater car' look (you know the one - primer patches and non-matching panels!). There are a few spots that need some touch-ups, but otherwise it's ready for some wet-sanding and buffing to bring out the shine again. But it was fine at the pool; we brushed up on some rolls, practised some somewhat unorthodox 'swimmer rescue' techniques and, now that I've hacked the knee tube out of there, Blondie taught me how to re-enter and roll. 8)