Gel Coat Question

Discussion in 'Boat and Accessory Building' started by kayakdoc, Sep 1, 2016.

1. kayakdoc

kayakdoc New Member

I just found a Tahe Greenland GT, all black, beautiful boat. Was very excited even though I am in Michigan and the boat is in Washington State.
    KAS transport will be picking up boat and bringing it to Michigan sometime later this month.

Got a call from boat dealer and there's a problem when they unwrapped the boat. Splotching of the gel coat from being wrapped up for a long period of time, was told probably due to moisture buildup against the gel coat while boat was in storage.

Opinions requested, does this sound like its true? I don't know enough about gel coat to know one way or the other. Seller has assured me that no damage to gel coat has occurred, unsure if that is true from pic.
    Anyone with knowledge of gel coat structure breakdown would greatly appreciate your input.

2. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

That photo is all I can see of that boat-- but
    To me it looks like the top hull had been repaired and repainted -- difference in color and texture - maybe it is just how the light hits the surface at a different angle.
    The break line in the hull would of been a convient place to mask off a repaire --
    It also looks like the paint came off in spots. -- maybe from trapped moisture from the wrapping.
    Moisture and fiberglass boats was a huge problem for fiberglass boats sitting in the water for long periods of time - back in the day - 90s
    My quess is the boat was wrapped before the repaire or origional paint had time to fully cure.

But I am only telling you what I seen that photo. The spots are not in focus - so I could be totally wrong.
    The few photos I found of Greendland GT kayaks showed different textures are use on the hull for styling.
    The diffferent surface texture and finish could be design intent and the spots an unfortunate blemish.

When you get the boat:
    inspect for unseen damage
    no damage -- fill and repaint or gelcoat only that section of the hull

Any way good luck with the boat - It already starting to get cold here in Michigan - the season is very short now.

Roy

3. tiagosantos

tiagosantos Paddler

It just looks like oxidation to me, but I am not a gel coat expert by any means.. are they discounting the boat further? :D

If you pass on it, send me the details!

4. kayakdoc

kayakdoc New Member

Well, I bought the Tahe. Gel coat looks "foggy" in places where some type of wrapping was around boat. Tried a little sanding with 1000 grit wet dry sandpaper but no improvement. Was able to purchase boat a little over dealer cost so I can live with fog.
    I've had boat out about 4 times, different from Romany-still adjusting

5. mstoc.co

mstoc.co Paddler

I had a black Necky Looksha Elite that developed a similar "white fogging" as well. It was explained (by Campbell from Blackline Marine) that what was causing my fogging issue was trapped styrene gas. That typically happens when the gas does not make it to the surface during the curing of the gelcoat. What could also have contributed to my fogging was a chemical reaction (cleaner) that activated and trapped styrene in the gelcoat.

For me, the issue was cosmetic only but with a beautiful, black hull, the imperfections bothered me to no end just the same.

6. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Black is just such a difficult finish to keep in a marine world.

You might want to try wet sanding with 1500, 2500 grit wet/dry sandpaper, rinse between sanding and then polish with a rotary buffer with Mequiars swirl remover, followed by some Turtle wax and a good buffing when hazed up.

When filling the dings and scrapes on my hull I first degrease with acetone on a cloth, grind out, fill with catalyzed gel coat ( A disposable syringe is good) to slightly above the surrounding finish. When hardened, dry, BLOCK sand with 120 grit until just flush and then wet sand in a circular motion with 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2500 grit wet sanding. Remember to add a couple of drops of dish soap to the warm water you are using to keep the sandpaper wet.

Any auto body repair shop will sell the products mentioned here

Follow up with a polish on a rotary polisher and buff off when dry. Apply a coat or two of car or boat wax, buff with a clean soft cloth and enjoy a couple more nautical miles a day when it meets the water.