Getting to the Central Coast

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by stagger, Dec 3, 2017.

1. stagger

stagger Paddler

Ok, so since the publication of The Wild Coast 2, Things have changed. The ferry doesn’t do wet launches and pickups, and it doesn’t stop at Namu no mo’.

Am I right in thinking that water taxi or a landing at a ferry terminal (Bella Bella, Shearwater, Klemtu, Ocean Falls) are the only options nowadays? Or does somebody know something the BC Ferries website doesn't?

Thanks in advance for info.

2. eriktheviking

eriktheviking Paddler

One possible option at the north end would be North Coast Kayak Adventures as they can do Union Passage Marine Park and Butedale as possible drop points, and likely others as a charter: <http://www.kayakadventureskitimat.com/2017-destinations>. They run out of Kitimat.

It is unclear if the North Co-Op ferry will take kayaks and kayakers outbound from Prince Rupert, but that could get one to Hartley Bay. Probably requires some phone calls to sort out as a possibility: <http://www.metlakatla.ca/sites/default/files/North Co Corp 2018 Calendar.pdf>. They might be more amenable as an exit ride as there tends to be less baggage on the return trips.

stagger likes this.
  3. chodups

chodups Paddler

stagger,
    I would love to discuss other Central Coast routes that could address your vision and are not dependent on the wet launch/pick up that was afforded by the Queen of Chilliwack or water taxi. Online or offline. Let's talk. It's pretty straightforward, really.

4. stagger

stagger Paddler

OK, Jon - sounds intriguing. We can PM, but if there's any info that might be of use to the community, why don't we chat about it here?

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

That is correct. I've never been to Ocean Falls or Bella Coola so I can't speak to those sailings or transfers. The Northern Expedition can get you to Prince Rupert every other day, Bella Bella most every other day and Klemtu once a week.