Gilbert Island Campsite in the Broken Islands Group

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by sludge, Jan 5, 2016.

1. sludge

sludge Paddler

Happy New Year to all.

Does anyone have recent experience at the Gilbert Island Campsite in the Broken Group? I hear little said about the state of Gilbert Campsite in comparison to Clarke, Gibralter, Hand etc.

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Not recent. Superb location for gunkholing the outer islands S side of Coaster Channel. Also for circumnavigating Effingham. Typically less busy than any of the others. Plenty of room for tents.

3. benson

benson Paddler

It's been several years for me as well. Ditto to what Dave mentioned. The sites above the nice beach provide shelter in some cedars...east facing towards Effingham. It doesn't offer the dramatic views of Clarke, but more protected and likely a bit more private.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I'll echo what others have said and add that it's a bit of a darker campsite as it's in the trees and doesn't get any late afternoon sun. Also, there's a bit of an open crossing that makes it a bit more challenging to get there making it a good choice if you're looking for a less populated spot. Depending on the time of year that you're going (with regard to crowds), I'd say Clarke is the nicer choice.

5. sludge

sludge Paddler

Thanks so much everyone for your helpful information. I have stayed at all the other Broken Group campsites over the years, not Gilbert. Practically speaking, you want ample length of time for your Broken visit to be able to use Gilbert as your gunk holing base in the southwest corner of the Group. The additional factors mentioned contribute to its quieter usage.

6. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

On a trip there a few years back, we stayed at Gilbert first, well worth the distance. As both Dan and Dave stated, less people. As a matter of fact, the first footprints we saw upon landing at the beach were that of one of the Effingham wolves, very cool!

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

We spotted a wolf there, several years, now, shortly after the wolf "resurgence." No deer, after many visits years and years, when they would browse as we made dinner. And, no surprise, grasses and brush coming back. A top predator like a wolf really changes fauna and flora.

Unlike some of the Clayoquot beach wolves, the wolves in the Brokens seemed shy, and avoided people spots. My last visit was September 2010, so I wonder if that has changed.

8. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

That is the same time we did our last trip there also, late July- August for us. Time to go back!
    It is a wonderful place, but I would like to go early June or late September next time, less "traffic"