God's Pocket Out of Port Hardy

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tatlow, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Anyone paddled this area and/or alternately, know of a link to a trip report? Have my chart and prepping the paddle plans so hoping for a little more information.

2. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

I did a trip to Bell Island and the chain last fall out of Port Hardy - what would you like to know?

3. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

Anything to be sure to see, to avoid, pictures, recommended camping spots? Headed there in August and realize that fog is often the order of the day and sometimes not burning off. But we are always interested in reading trip reports from others - especially when we have been there or are in the process of heading there.

4. paddlesores

paddlesores Paddler

My wife and I, along with another couple spent the better part of a week last June on Balaklava Island. Camped at Nolan Point (N50 49.761 W127 37.357). The landing beach is located about 500 metres up along the west side of the island after you round the southern point. The camp area sits on a small peninsula. It’s a beautiful spot with lots of room.
    We saw more whales than we did people on this trip. A day trip around Balaklava and checking out the Scarlett Point lighthouse is well worth the effort. If you take a walk towards the southern end of the island you will find a bunch of culturally modified trees.

Our camp was located just to the right of this beach
    [​IMG]

Scarlett Point Lighthouse
    [​IMG]

CMT
    [​IMG]

5. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

There’s a large patch of water between Duval Island (on the Port Hardy side) and the Bell/Heard/Gordon Islands that can get pretty lumpy if you’ve got wind against tide. You can ask the locals about it, or work out roughly where it is by looking the shallower depths shown on your charts.

We camped on a lovely little site on Bell Island. Roughly N 50 50.046 W123 31.740.
    There’s another campsite in the inlet on Hurst Island at roughly N50 50.645 W127 34.471. We used it on a crossing of Queen Charlotte Straight years back and loved it at the time ‘cos it was sheltered from pretty much any wind direction. It’s not as pretty for sea life though, cos the inlet doesn’t get a full “exchange” of water flushing in and out.
    Speaking of water, fresh water was scarce – we brought what we needed from the mainland.

The fishing is great on the north side of the Gordon Islands. So is the whale watching.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m9jBrvB ... annel_page

Hope this helps.