Goodbye Necky composite boats?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by AM, Jan 2, 2017.

1. AM

AM Paddler

Perhaps it's a temporary webpage blunder, but the Necky site has dropped all composite boats from their Touring category. That means no Looksha Elite. Furthermore, the Chatham class, both poly and composite, has disappeared entirely.

http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/touring_kayaks/

2. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

That's too bad, and I suspect that it's not a website glitch, nor temporary. Wilderness Systems dropped their fiberglass kayaks last year.
    Bryan

3. AM

AM Paddler

Ah, I missed that. Thanks, Bryan.

What a shame. Necky is no longer Canadian, but it was once a local success story. Mike Neckar had a reputation for being an eccentric paddling genius, hiding out in the forest and then appearing in town with a carload of kayaks to sell. Some fine boats came from that company and even when they moved to Johnson there were some cool designs. I was always surprised that the Looksha Elite never took off, as it is a wonderful boat that ticks many boxes. And the Chathams could certainly hold their own in the rough water niche.

Wildy also had some interesting designs in its time. Remember the Arctic Hawk? Too bad their plastic boats have a reputation for poor quality. I wouldn't trust anything from Confluence to be water tight.

Well, besides Sterling, I guess we're more or less back where we started, with British manufacturers carrying the torch. I hope they can hold on in the face of competition from the conglomerates.

On the plus side, you can still buy a decent composite canoe that's made in BC. Go Clipper and Hellman!

Cheers,
    Andrew

4. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Maybe also no coincidence that both companies are part of larger corporations, and that plastic rec kayaks seem to be where the money is.

5. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Seaward is still making Canadian kayaks I believe. But is Nimbus gone?

6. AM

AM Paddler

You're right, Seaward is still in the business, though there was that misstep a couple of years back, where they were moving to thermoform boats and seeking funding on Dragon's Den. Then they sold their thermoform business to Kayak Distribution and returned to focus on their "core competencies", which is composite boats.

Nimbus is not "gone" but the owner moved the business to Quadra Island a few years ago and their website hasn't been updated in 5 years. They still advertise paddles.

I've posted this before, a very interesting history of the local sea kayaking industry:

https://www.rapidmedia.com/adventurekay ... aking.html

7. AM

AM Paddler

So, I just saw Bryan's post in the Buy & Sell section that Necky is now no more:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8419

I wonder if Mike Neckar's other boat project, Delsyk Designs, is still viable. They haven't posted to their FB page in some time. Ecomarine used to carry them. Don't think they do any more.