GoPro Hero 2

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Gecko Paddler, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Gecko Paddler

Gecko Paddler Paddler

Although I carry my Sony Cyber shot with me on the water I have been looking at the new GoPro Hero 2 system to wear or mount on the kayak. It seems that these great little cameras are becoming more and more popular for capturing pictures or video, especially when you might be busy riding the surf etc.

Thoughts?

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Just got one two days ago; the original HeroHD was a great camera, and they've improved it with the Hero2. I've only 'tested' it while hiking but I really like the ability to adjust the field of view angle. The original HeroHD used a number 'code' to change resolution; this one actually shows you on the little LCD what mode you're in, and they've added quite a few new features. Looking forward to trying it out on the water.

If you're not sure about the price on the Hero2, the HeroHD has been marked down significantly so it's quite a good deal now on a camera that, for most of us, will give you amazing quality and still much more than we really need.

3. Gecko Paddler

Gecko Paddler Paddler

Picked up my GoPro Hero 2 a couple of days ago and it is sweet!I had the chance to try a friends Hero version before and the "2" has quite a few upgrades. If the weather holds it will get a work out on the water this weekend.

For editing, I'm playing around with a trial version of the Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. It probably has more features than I will ever use but it seems to be pretty straight forward at this point.

4. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

It's not of the Hero 2, but California Kayaker Magazine had a review comparing the Hero HD to the Oregon Scientific ATC9K in its Fall 2011 issue, which can be read online for free at http://www.calkayakermag.com/magazine.html. Many of the limitations noted there continue to hold true with the Hero 2.