Gordon Brown DVD

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by DarrenM, Nov 8, 2009.

1. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

2. mikec

mikec Paddler

Just picked up a copy of this at Ecomarine and it is phenomenal. I could have done with a little less talking during some of the technique demos, but the depth of knowledge of mr Brown is fantastic and showing all the various strokes in context of environmental application and real world conditions is something that has been sorely lacking from the vast majority of instructional DVD's out there.

highly recommended, and I really hope they make Part 2!

3. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Cool, Thanks Mike.
    Ill pick it up too

4. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

What a disappointment. His book was good. The DVD is very light on instruction, with lots of filler watching a group of not-very-experienced kayakers wending their way up a coastline a lot less interesting than ours in BC.

A few useful tips on strokes but not nearly enough to justify the cost.

Unfortunately, I think the film-maker wanted to make a different style of kayak video, one with an embedded "story". Sadly, it is a dull tale, which makes it a DVD one could only bear watching once. One can choose only to watch the Coaching segments, but there are too few and they are too short.

I suspect that Brown is a good instructor in the flesh, and that a better film-maker would have made more of his abilities.

About the least fun or useful of all my (many) kayaking DVDs.

5. chodups

chodups Paddler

Agreed.

6. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

I agree with everything you said, but i did load the DVD again last night and it's waiting for me to hit the play button tonight.

Dave R

7. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

Procrastinating pays off yet again!

Thanks, Ill skip this purchase :)

8. Malin2

Malin2 Paddler

Well, I beg to differ. I looked at both the book and DVD at Ecomarine and decided on the DVD. The book contains a lot of info I already have in other books. For the strokes though, a video is worth a thousand words. I thought Gordon Brown did a better job than some of the other video, and live, instructors I have observed.

I seems fairly obvious, from the label, that it would not contain much for those of you who have paddled around the Island, played in the surf at Tofino, etc.

But, as a lower level, intermediate day tripper I found it to be most useful.

I understand those pesky steering strokes much better now.

I do think it is a little expensive, $24.95 might have been a better price.

9. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

Actually, I am always out to find decent video on technique. Just because I have paddled around the Island that does not mean that I am a technically very skilled kayaker. I have taken no dedicated skills courses and am not, to my mind, particularly proficient at draws, etc. I wish I had taken courses at an earlier stage in my development. However, I am grateful to fellow kayakers who have spent time with me helping me to improve. There is always more to learn. One WCPer went out with me for a few days on a trip a couple of years ago and basically rebuilt my forward stroke from the bottom up. I was very sceptical - my stroke had got me through some long trips - but he was absolutely right and I am now a bit of a zealot regarding the importance of not collapsing your "paddlers box" and using acres of rotation. I did a 24 NM training paddle yesterday and whilst my big back muscles knew that they had been working my arms could have done another 24 NM (as you know, rotation ensures that the big sheets of muscle in the back do most of the work - the arms and hands are really just struts and hooks for attaching your back to the paddle).

My comments about the Brown video stand. The filler is dull (the TITS series and the two Horizons DVDs are better) and barely warranted the first watching and certainly will not bear a second go. The coaching segments are too few and too short.

There are plenty of better videos on technique. For the forward stroke, the stroke we use most and which could be done a lot better by most people most of the time, and all of us some of the time, then "The Kayak Forward Stroke" by Barton and Chalupsky is excellent. The stroke described is very similar to the version taught me by our fellow WCPer.

I am just working through "Sea Kayak Handling" by Doug Cooper. This is a British book costing US$15. The descriptions and photos are good but what helps lift it above other manuals is the online video collection which anyone can look at (you do not have to buy the book, though it is best to use both together). See them at http://www.pesdapress.com/Resources/c6/ ... pages.html

Personally I think that Cooper does not rotate enough and collapses his box too much (he bends his lower arm to less than 90 degrees at the end of the stroke and as he brings the blade forwards again - he would solve this with more rotation and by lifting his elbow up at the end of the stroke) but his detailed description and demonstration of turns is good and I have high hopes of his outlining of my least proficient area, draws.

FWIW/IMHO, etc

10. mikec

mikec Paddler

lol @ Comoxpaddler. I think we have created a monster ;)

you are totally right regarding both Mr Cooper's stroke and Mr Brown's DVD. the coaching bits though I think are invaluable for beginners and intro-mediates as he really defines upper and lower body separation well, which is something I have found lacking in all other dvd's.

you are well beyond that level so I can certainly see how this first dvd from them is of little value and a tad boring, especially as given the content and audience his book was targeted at I do believe our expectations were perhaps higher.

from a coaches standpoint some of his commentary was spot on, though i could have really done without all the talking during the actual demonstrations - it distracts the viewer from what he actually trying to show us, which is a major coaching boo-boo for visual learners - demo's should be silent!

I think that the vast depth of knowledge that Mr. Brown has (top of the food chain Level 5 coach and assessor with the BCU) comes across, but just too much - they seem to be trying to glean every single little nugget and gem out of one dvd, when they could have slowed things down a little in that respect, expanded the coaching bits and really crafted a better overall product.

fear not, there are a couple of very, very well known coaches from the Pacific North West who are working on their own DVD, and from what I have seen of the footage it will be the best skills training dvd out yet when it is finally completed!

11. Comoxpaddler

Comoxpaddler Paddler

That is good news about the PNW coaches. I can guess who they may be, if you have seen the footage.

I look forward to seeing it.