GPS Micro SD card- Lost

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by WGalbraith, Sep 1, 2018.

1. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Last trip out to the Deer Group I noticed my GPS ( Garmin GPS 60 CSx) displayed a rather amateur looking screen that showed I was not anywhere near where I knew I was. No matter what I did Helby Island and the Ross Islets did not appear on the screen. My way points appeared on the map but not the land masses I was familiar with. Perturbed, I was able to paddle, using chart and compass, unable to figure out why my device was displayed a map drawn by an amateur cartoonist rather than the usual place names, navigational aids and depths/ detail so helpful when trolling for salmon.

At home I rinsed off my electronics with warm soapy tap water and allowed them to dry overnight. I have followed this procedure since I started paddling. When I removed the back of the GPS, took out the batteries, I discovered that the little SD card I installed four years ago was missing. After a thorough search of my vacuum cleaner, the room I store my kayak gear in I was unable to find the card anywhere. Since I always start each trip with new batteries installed at home, I am at a loss as to where this item was lost. At a replacement cost of $200.00 I thought it a good idea to advise other paddlers to apply a piece of tape across the stainless steel card holder or at least ensure it is locked in place each time. And if anyone has a replacement sitting on their shelf gathering dust I would be happy to negotiate on its liberation.

2. jamonte

jamonte Paddler

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 78scx (a "waterproof" handheld marine unit) which I use for wilderness river trips and I have encountered similar, but slightly different problems than you. In 2017, I was in Idaho for an 8-day river trip and only my waypoints would show up onscreen, not the map. It turns out that I had loaded a 3rd party topo map of Idaho (i.e., not the official Garmin map) and the file was corrupted so it wouldn't show up. This spring, I was on a 9-day, 200-mile river trip at high water and the map showed up, but not my waypoints. (Actually, I had waypoints for the very first day and for part of the last day, but nothing in-between!) Garmin never could explain why the waypoints were there, then gone, then back again, but my best guess is that I had left Garmin's marine map "enabled" after a sea kayak trip and that map interferes with the device reading topo maps. No kidding! This happened when I first purchased the device in 2015, but I had forgotten about it.

Oh, and I have experienced problems similar to yours where my maps were not showing up after I changed the batteries. When that has happened to me, it is because the SD card got dislodged during the battery change. I might try your idea of using a tiny bit of Scotch tape over that little hinged stainless steel card holder. It is really fragile and poorly designed!

Finally, I couldn't figure out why your SD card cost you $200, but then I realized you were using a card with a pre-loaded map. Garmin got extremely greedy by charging exorbitant rates for public maps but in many cases it is possible to load free maps off the internet. There are potential problems (see above), but you can load dozens of maps onto a $10 32 Gb micro SD card. Last time I searched, however, I couldn't find a free marine map for BC on the net. Has that changed or is that still a problem?

3. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I don't think there are any free 'legit' Bluechart copies - they are still expensive when bought retail.
    There are 'pirated' copies (sold as 'Used') on eBay.
    Searching on the Bluechart name (HXUS039R) might turn up something online.
    That's the 'all Canada coast and USA' Bluechart.
    The US marine charts are free to download (not in GPS-usable form AFAIK) but the Canadian ones aren't.
    The 'Robs VI Topo' charts of Vancouver Island are available free online and could be useful, but they aren't the marine charts so perhaps not the best to rely on 100%.

4. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

The latest news is that my GPS Map 60CSx is outdated after 5 years. It is in pristine condition, well cared for and according to the Garmin Canada people, there is no software now compatible. Their suggestion is to replace the software, buy a new GPS unit and they will give me a 20% discount because they are nice guys. ( Approx $700.00) Agghhh, guess I need to find an older version SD card or?? Any suggestions folks?

In a perfect world, someone on WCP would have an old device sidelined because the screen is broken. The micro SD card tucked away under the batteries is also just moldering away and is of no use.

5. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

I'd certainly investigate further before 'swallowing hook line and sinker' that info from Garmin Canada.

First of all, the replacement for your 60CSx is the GpsMap 64 which is $300, not $700.

And the 'no software' thing is a bit suspect as well, in my opinion.

A few experiments would tell you if that info is accurate. I'll send you a PM and we can discuss this 'offline', if you'd like.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

What John said, in spades!

My circa 2004 vintage Map 60C (no S, no x) works just fine, and uses SW demanding I run it on an XP platform when setting up a waypoints route, or generating a graphic showing a trip I did . Its charts are hydrographically accurate, though some Navaids are gone or moved. I have a couple other programs which also won't run on newer Microsoft operating system upgrades. All these are comfortably resident on a 2005 vintage laptop which is disconnected from the Internet, and never sees any malware.

If needed, I can expand its charts with stuff bought off eBay. Have not done that. No need.

I run an Android tablet for Internet-associated work. Now and then I port some jpeg images over to the "old" laptop XP platform for image processing. No issues yet.

I think I will go obsolete before my Map60C dies. ;):)

7. Roy222

Roy222 Paddler

Did you look in your box of "to be recycled" of batteries for the card?

8. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Good idea Roy 222. No I did not. I have a couple of pair of rechargeables that I use so there is no recycle jar to check.
    I have since ruled out the company(Raytech) in Quebec that services Garmin equipment. I thought they might have a broken unit with an SD in it but apparently they have an Exchange program that returns any SD cards to the owner with an exchange device that is broken. I am still looking .

9. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Thanks John, I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions in a PM .

10. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Please check your 'Inbox' - there should be a message there as I sent one to you a few days ago.

11. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Thanks for all your suggestions and especially to John for the time he took with me at his home. I was able to get a spectacular price on a SD card from their old discontinued bin. Trevor at Trotac was very helpful and we had a good chat about his exploits on my favorite place to go any time of the year, Helby Island. Now I can find my way around more comfortably even in Foggust in Barkley Sound.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  12. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

WGalbraith - glad to help!
    To others reading this, FYI:
    The 'Used' Bluechart SD card that I bought online contains two gmapsupp.img files - one is the G2 file; the other file(gmapsupp2.img) has the 'newer' HD info. The card is copyable (unlike a 'real' Garmin card, which isn't easy to copy), so it was a simple matter to copy the G2 file to a new card. That was the card that worked in WGalbraith's Garmin GpsMap 60 CSx.