GPS Photography

Discussion in 'Paddling Photography' started by Dan_Millsip, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Finally! Here's something that I've been wanting for some time but didn't know it was available -- a digital camera with GPS capabilities.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... o/gps.mspx

It's not perfect, you must take a GPS unit and attach it to the camera -- a bit clunky, but when this technology gets built into the camera it will be exactly what I want.

This setup also does not give a compass bearing, which is something that I'd find very useful. You could take a look at a photo, know exactly where it was taken from and the precise direction the camera was facing when the picture was taken -- you could use this information to determine the position of practically anything in the photograph. Not sure what the name of that mountain peak in the background is? No problem, look up the EXIF info and merge this info with your favourite mapping software -- you know the name of the mountain in seconds with pinpoint accuracy. Import your photos and waypoints into Google Earth and you could make quite a cool presentation with pop-up photos.

But the big drawback to this specific system is it's price -- the camera that is used in this example (Nikon DX2) is currently $6,000. There are only a handful other cameras that are compatible -- and they are all professional grade. I suspect it will be a while longer before consumer grade cameras will be capable of linking with a GPS.

It's a ways off from being ideal. But I want one.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Yeah, it's only a matter of time. The software that was shipped with my 'old' Fuji Finepix 4900, back in 2002, had data fields for GPS coordinates and all sorts of other information based on GPS-supplied data. It's actually a bit surprising that it hasn't made it into mainstream cameras already - it's in just about every cell phone available (although perhaps for other reasons) so the chips and antennae are obviously small enough and cheap enough to make it into cameras...

3. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler