Great weekend at TIPS!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by pawsplus, May 21, 2018.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

I went to TIPS (the symposium run by the Traditional Inuit Paddlers of the SE, which is affiliated with Qajak USA) this last weekend. It was AWESOME!!!! Not many pix, though, as everyone was too busy to get them to stand around taking pix and video of one LOL. I got some of Dubside, though.

It was held at a Presbyterian-run camp on Lake Greenwood in Central SC, and the venue was perfect. No conditions, of course, but great for rolling and strokes practice. I wished I had signed up for the paddle-making class (knew I would be sorry I didn't!). I mostly rolled with Dubside, but also took a forward strokes class with Greg Stamer, which was wonderful. I had been told that the bow of the boat should not move back and forth at all, which seemed utterly incompatible with a good forward stroke, but I've been trying to "fix" that "problem" for a while and it messed me up. I watched him stroke and the bow of his boat goes back and forth. Asked him about that and he said, "It has to, if you have good rotation!" Which I felt sure was true, but now have proof LOL. I worked on refining my torso rotation so it starts at my hips, and we worked on a lot of other things, too. He's good at exercises that isolate one thing at a time--you do them all, and then gradually put them together.

It was wonderful to see Dubside again. I just love him. :) He's the coolest guy on the planet, and he's an amazing teacher. We ended up concentrating on my Norsaq roll, and after the first session, I was nearly there but not QUITE. Then he put me in a Tahe Zegul. I got the Norsaq roll almost at once then, with a few refinements, but we ran out of time before we could transfer it to my boat (NDK Pilgrim Exp). But since I'll be at PPS, and working with Mike Gilbert after PPS, I'm not too worried.

Three pix of Dubside:
    DSCN0446.JPG DSCN0440.JPG DSCN0449.JPG

That's me (in my own boat) in the back on the right:
    et_tips_close.jpg

Interestingly, just paddling the Tahe turned out to be eye-opening. Last summer, if you guys recall, I took a Greenland rolling lesson with Mike Gilbert at Ecomarine in Van when I was visiting my mom. He put me in a Tahe Zegul then, and I was TOTALLY FREAKED OUT by that boat. It felt like it was going to capsize the whole time I was just SITTING in it, and I was terrified to even paddle it. This year, in the same model boat, I was completely comfy right away! I paddled all over in it, went really fast, did my standard roll in it effortlessly (with too much leg drive the first time--nearly put myself over to do a second roll LOL!), and side sculled in it, etc. In a way, this was the best revelation of the whole weekend--I have clearly improved in fairly monumental ways to go from being unable to paddle the boat last year to being comfy and happy in it this year! :)

I also managed to do ONE ropes move. The easiest one, but hey. I'm proud of myself.

All in all, it was wonderful!!! Can't wait for more rolling at PPS!

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Astoriadave likes this.
  2. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

If anyone is interested, here are 2 longish videos of Dubside rolling (with Henry Romer narrating).

Part 1:

Part 2:

3. Man in qajaq

Man in qajaq Paddler

Thanks for posting those. I always enjoy watching Dubside.