greenland paddles

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by fester, Dec 14, 2005.

1. fester

fester Paddler

I recenlty used a friends greenland paddle and have decided to buy or make my own.The qajaq website has some really good info on it. There's a guy in victoria that makes them,and from what I've seen on the water, they appear to be more or less the same design. I'm interested in hearing other's experience with regards to the different design styles and how they perform.

2. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

Dan has made a Greenland style paddle, which he has documented briefly in an album in the 'building' section here. With a nice piece of clear, tight grain wood (western red cedar seems a very popular choice), you can make your own paddle quite inexpensively. Dan's paddle seems to have turned out quite well - it's smooth and attractive, and you make it to fit your own dimensions. I'm sure Dan can point you to some very useful web sites detailing how the paddle is designed and made to fit you exactly.

3. Miklos

Miklos Paddler

A great set of instructions were put freely on the net by Chuck Holst. I used these plans after purchasing a beautiful, clear, tight grain WRC 2x4 that was buggered at the very end, for around $5 from Home Depot. Between access to a bandsaw at work (aerospace machine shop, used the aluminum cutting blade) and a hand held electric planer at home, I was finished in about three hours. I used my ROS for almost all of the finish shaping, with very little hand planing or shaping required.

As far as use... I like it. Its smooth and quiet in the water and long distances leave me with no shoulder pain (old snowmobile injury). The only drawback that I find, is it is 0.4 mph slower measured by gps.

4. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

I also made my paddle using the Chuck Holst plans from the qajaq.usa website. I used a bandsaw to rough the paddle out of a cedar quarter-sawn 2x4 that I purchased from a cedar fence company for $8.00 (Cdn). I used a Buck knife to shape the paddle and then hand sanded to the final shape. I then used some tung oil to finish it off.

I also like the Greenland paddle -- as has been mentioned, it's very quiet and is noticeably easier on the body over long paddles. It's a bit cold on the hands using it in the winter so when the weather is cold, I generally use a euro paddle.

5. fester

fester Paddler

As I mentioned in my initial post ,the qajak website does have some good info.The one Dan has pictures of on your site looks like a peice of furniture. If I manage to get a finished product like that, I'll be hesitant to use it

Holst mentions both the west and east greenland styles and speaks of the "many variations between". From Holst's plans the major difference between east and west appears to be a more gradual transition from the loom to the blade. Virtually all of the greenland paddles I've seen closely resemble Holst's plan. One exception is the one I borrowed on the weekend, overall it was comparatively longer, the blades were narrower and had much less of a radius on thier edges.

I am familiar with the shoulder width/ curved hand measurements but would like to know, how tall are you guys? and what did you end up with for loom width and overall length?

I don't imagine there are many 6'2" 240+ eskimos around so I'm wary of statistical averages.

Thanks

6. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

:lol: :lol:

7. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I have had one of Terry Assekstine's greenland paddles for a couple of years (I now have two!). The more I paddle with them, the more I like it. I was out today paddling from Jordan River to Mystic Beach on a reasonably cool day and I had no problems with cold hands even in the river water. I do often wear a pair of light Brooks gloves when using the GP. One of the neat features of Terry's paddles is the brass insert at the end as well as the epoxy coat at the tip - both of these help to make the paddle somewhat resilient to banging on rocks and such. Mine is in remarkably good shape after two years of steady use.
    Things I love about this paddle:
    -feels great to hold
    -I always know where the blade is when I am holding it
    - very supportive for bracing/sculling
    - great to roll with extended
    I thought it would be hard to keep up with other paddlers with big Werner -Ikelos blades, but so far no problem
    - I rarely get tired wrists or arms when paddling with this paddle...

Info on paddle sizing:
    http://www.bealepaddles.com/dimensions.htm
    or
    http://www.bbkayak.com/PaddleSizing.html

8. andreas

andreas Paddler

lucky me :D
    i'm a woodworker by trade and the company ,i'm working for, was just getting rid of a big stack a western red cedar ! so of course i put it aside to build myself a nice paddle (or two) this winter :D :lol:

i like the idea of putting epoxy caps on the ends, but i'm still not sure if i should use waterproof woodglue or if i should go with epoxy to glue the strips up......... and for the finish i think i just put tung oil on. with oil the wood can breath. but its easier to get slivers :? on the other hand if i would use epoxy as a finish and water would get in to the wood, it will starting to rod inside---sooo what should i do???? :roll: guess i have to try it out .....

cheers
    and merry christmas

andreas

9. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

my paddles have the epoxy/varnish finish and, yes, water does get in through the dings - I have several discoloured spots. However, once it has been dinged a few times, you don't feel so bad about using it all the time! When I first had it, it was so pretty that I was afraid to use it!

One of my winter projects is to strip down the "well-used paddle and change it to an oil based finish. I'll then have one of each type for comparison! At some point, I want to carve my own too.

There is a good 23 minute 200 MB video you can download from:
    http://www.carvegp.com/

10. andreas

andreas Paddler

liked the video!

thanks

andreas

11. fester

fester Paddler

Hey Andreas, have you seen or heard of Freya Hoffmeister? She's a paddler from Germany, who uses a carbon fiber greenland paddle. If you google her you can see pictures of her boat and paddle. Quite impressive

12. Dave_Barrie

Dave_Barrie Paddler

I have to get one of those......paddles that is :wink:

[​IMG]

13. fester

fester Paddler

Thats an interesting design. I'd like to have a closer look at the seat

14. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

You crack me up Fester. :lol:

15. DarrenM

DarrenM Paddler

16. andreas

andreas Paddler

:D 8O :p :wink: :roll: :twisted: :lol:

17. fester

fester Paddler

now that's some good skin on frame !

The cockpit might be a tight fit

18. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Somebody should throw a bucket of cold water on you guys. Let's not push the boundaries.

19. andreas

andreas Paddler

i know this is an old post, but finally i got my gs paddle made :D

cost: less then 10$ (spruce 2x4) it will be intersting to see if it will split or not over time :roll:
    time to build: 2.5 hours 8O :D
    first i have to say that i'm working for a woodworking company and have my own key to the building :D so yesterday evening i drove out to the airport , where our shop is (the snow birds are parked right in our back yard for there show at oak bay tomorrow). after marking all the cuting lines out at home already, the only thing i had to do was the rough cut on the band saw and some butchering with my power planer :lol: it was also a big help to have a nice edgesander handy! total time needed so far: 1.2 hours. i guesss i have about 1 more hour left of hand sanding ,some staining and gel coating (the ends) before i can try it out.
    i will try and get some pictures taken when i'm done and will post them here.

20. Komatiq

Komatiq Paddler

This thread is a bit old but I've been out of the loop for awhile.

I first used gp's in 2000 and have used nothing else since, I even use one in my single canoe.

Someone mentioned paddle shape and if you are interested in seeing a variety of shapes from different cultures you could do some searching through the Qajaq USA site or through Harvey Golden's site. Harvey has pictures of a number of replica paddles he's reproduced and has them all pictured together leaning against a wall.... interesting stuff.

Over all I prefer gp's, they work better for me than the Euro style blades but hull speed is a touch slower (GPS tracking) at my normal cadence. If you apply a bit of sliding hand technique you can easily crank out more power/speed if thats a priority for you.