Haida Gwaii - 24 days in August 2015

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Rachel_M, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Finally! I have written up our trip to Haida Gwaii from last August.....my excuse is moving countries, refurbishing our house, starting a new job and having SLOW (2 mbps) internet :shock: :shock: :shock:

Huge thanks go to Astoria Dave for being so generous with his info. Clearly lots of time and effort went into providing us with this info and it was invaluable - thank you!

If you are interested in reading, you can find the long old story here https://haidagwaiipaddle.wordpress.com

Rachel

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Oh, goody! I have been waiting for this. I think I fixed that URL, if Rachel has not already beat me to it.

3. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Thanks Dave, no, I'm not that great with the technical stuff!

4. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Thanks for the report Rachel, I am enjoying it so far. I will have to pull out the charts as I read through it to follow along and see where you were. I will be heading there with my family in a few months.
    Cheers,
    Bryan

5. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Great trip report, I would take that trip over fluffy towels and hot chocolate any time.

6. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Just a missed bracket, Rachel. No biggie.

You are a marvelous chronicler, however. Your narrative really put me in the feel and the rhythm of your journey, something others rarely accomplish. You guys sure had a lot of mixed weather, more than any of my trips. Sounds like HG is not crowded, at the usual places anyhow.

You saw more bears on your one trip than I have seen in five trips, most of similar duration. A puzzle, for sure.

You also rarely camped where I have. And some of your spots were in unusual locations.

7. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, fluffy white towels aren't much use to outdoors people as they show the mud and grime too easily, but I did enjoy using one back at the hotel!

Pawistik - you will have a great time with your family! It is a magical place.

I wrote it as though I was talking to a friend, not writing an article. I think it makes for easier reading - I'm not good at "proper" writing!

I don't know if there were more bears because there were less people, but considering we were in peak season, there really were very few paddlers.

R

8. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

I just finished reading to the end. Great stuff, thank you for sharing!
    I'm curious, you show baking muffins in the outback oven. Are you using paper muffin cups or are you using a silicone muffin cups sorta like these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... 1013779260 ?
    If so, I had not seen that before and think it's a great idea.

Cheers,
    Bryan

9. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Well spotted - yes, I used silicon cups! I think I picked then up for $1 in Save-on-Foods or Superstore. They worked well because they hold their shape in the oven :D

10. Tex

Tex Paddler

This was a tremendous trip report - thank you so much for sharing! Doing the Haida Gwaii in a kayak has been a dream of mine, as I used to be a fishing guide in the NW corner of the Islands back 15 or so years ago.

Would love to make a return trip and do something similar to what you did, especially if I could mix in some fishing! :)

11. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

What a great trip, and what a great report! :) Enjoyed every word of it. Absolutely gorgeous photographs--what kind of camera do you have? Probably a fancy one, I guess?

Surely you won't stop paddling now that you're back in the UK? There are so many wonderful places to paddle there! Heck, it's an island LOL!

12. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Thanks Tex & Pawsplus :)

The photos are a mix between a Nikon D5200 DLSR, an Olympus Tough TG-1 waterproof camera and a Sony Cybershot WX220 point and shoot - they all have their advantages and disadvantages!

Still no paddling on the horizon at the moment :( but I'm sure it's only a matter of time!

13. glcwhistler

glcwhistler Paddler

How did I miss this?

Rachel, this was an awesome trip report. I loved the photos and the writing.

My favorite parts were the written commentary between your husband and yourself. I was laughing out loud.

I really want to get up to Haidi Gwaii. Your trip report will really help in the future. Hopefully I can get an owl staring at me during a late night bowel movement too.

Again.. Thank you for the laughs.

14. Rachel_M

Rachel_M Paddler

Glad you enjoyed it and that it provided a few laughs!

Every time I hear an owl, I am taken right back to that night :lol: