Hammer vs Rockhopper

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by rider, Sep 8, 2013.

1. rider

rider Paddler

So now that the Hammer is out, the one boat to logically compare it to is the Rockhopper RH340. Anyone paddled both? Seems like they fill the same niche and the RH has a much more agreeable pricetag and less bells and whistles(hatches). Too bad it isn't sold here (though i saw one pop up on CL in south Wash)

2. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Altho' 2 feet shorter than the hammer, I think the dagger greenboat would be more in the mix than the rockhopper (same size as greenboat):

(images to approx scale only)

ie very similar to ol' time ww boats after they had smacked into a few walls and lost 5 or 6 inches at ea end.

Attached Files:

3. t.george

t.george Paddler

Mick, good observation & I agree mostly. Liquidlogic has a new boat in production now, the Stinger XP. The Stinger XP has one hatch to facilitate easy access to drybag storage,(no rear bulkhead-it's got a pillar running the full length like the Greenboat & other true ww boats). It's closer to the Hammer than the Greenboat in handling, but all three are distinctively different boats. Never paddled a Rockhopper, but I'd like to :) .

I participated in the short WW boats for rock gardening review that was posted to the Neptunes Rangers site,(links from fb or search for our blogspot). While it may not answer all questions on these boats it's a start. The photos of the Greenboat in the review are of my GB,(skeg & decklines were added by yours truly and not available from Dagger). For straight up RG'g most of the rangers are liking the GB though no skeg will be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Don't forget about the Fusion, it's in the review as well and still the favorite for at least one of the NR's.

All the best, t.george a.k.a. tOM

4. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

5. thief

thief Paddler

the rockhopper has a fast planing hull....and then also hard edges...it can carve quite well if the bow is out of the water....if the bow is in the water on a wave you are going STRAIGHT forward.....not much chance of turning until you break the bow out..

it LOVEs waist high surf and if you find yourself on a shirt dumper the massive amount of flare that is on the bow is extremely helpful....rolls well but is honestly hard to flip in the first place....the seat is also quite high and so the primary stability is fun, but the secondary is great....
    There are a pair of stainless steel 6" long fins that can be bolted on...i have them but do not use them much...the standard PH skeg doe just fine for my purposes.....

so..there are 3 rockhoppers in the US that i know of now....some one should grab Steve's! you will find it a LOT of fun....i redid my grab handles and added a perimeter deck line..still have plans to drop a hatch in the bow and put in a real bulkhead and pull out the plastic flotation container bulkhead thing in there now.

have not had a chance to try out the hammer yet....maybe one day..but right now i am completely happy with the rockhopper.....

6. rider

rider Paddler

The GreenBoat doesn't look surfy enough to compete with the hammer, unless I am totally wrong. Stinger does... That's the RH I spotted on CL but the owner expressed zero desire to bring it at all closer and I am not doing a 7 hour drive for a used kayak, no matter how cool.

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Rider, have you ever sampled the surf paddling down here? Bring your own boat and spend an extra day hitting the good places. Steve knows them all well and can point you at the ones best for whatever set of conditions we have. Whether you buy a boat or not, trip might be worthwhile. I dont like that drive either, but it is what it is.

Steve is a square deal kind of guy, and knows the value of boats, so not likely the boat will be a lowball bargain, in case that is really what you are looking for.

8. rider

rider Paddler

I wasn't actually going to even negotiate the price,600 is fair, but it's just too long of a drive. Of course I've been in the area only a few weeks ago,uh.

9. t.george

t.george Paddler

Rider, yes, you're right about the greenboat in surf. Stock it pretty much surfs like a football. With a skeg added is will surf pretty good on steep waves, but since it has a nice rounded ww hull that's so good in the confused waters of RG'g it doesn't plane off for squat and is really not that fun on waves. If you're looking for a RG boat that can surf you're on the right track with the Hammer, Stinger or SS's Rockhopper.

All the best, t.george

10. semdoug

semdoug Paddler

Rider,

I may be able to transport that kayak for you up to northwest Washington near one of the border crossings. If interested send me a pm to discuss details.

Steve