Harrison Lake Paddling April?

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Rodnak Kayak, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Hello,
    It has been some time since we have gone up to Harrison, and was wondering what the lake might be like in April for a day paddle? I know the winds can get pretty brutal, so even if we can swing into the Harrison river? We have long boats, not whitewater folks, and would be coming from the island. We have a gift certificate for the resort (so we can soak our bones in a nice hot springs pool after) from way back for 2 nites and we would ferry over from Victoria.
    Any thoughts on the lake or river are appreciated. Thx!

2. LAM

LAM Paddler

Hi Rodnak...
    I have no experience with Harrison Lake or River but if you use the "search" area on this site and search "Harrison Lake" there are lots of threads about the area (not specific to April however). On one thread "where did you paddle Nov. 2008" Dan Millsip shares a trip report from Hicks Lake which looks to me to be a real nice option instead of Harrison Lake or River. It is also close by the area you will be in.

Lila

3. jefffski

jefffski Paddler

I've paddled on Harrison Lake as far north as Big Silver. We have paddled both the east and west shores and around Echo Island. The water is cold and the afternoon (12 pm+) winds are big, especially in the summer. The winds may not be as big in spring. Check windy.com for wind reports and forecasts at https://www.windy.com/49.428/-121.815?49.417,-121.788,13,a:bnmBy