Hartley Bay to Prince Rupert. Outside passage

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by RobP, Jun 6, 2013.

1. RobP

RobP Paddler

Well I am getting my gear sorted out, clothes packed, and food organized. The water taxi to Hartley Bay runs Thurs Fri Sun or Mon depending on the week. Approx 250 km trip, I figure to take 9-10 days packing for 14

Now I just need a week of good weather

Will take lots of pics

2. dvfrggr

dvfrggr Paddler

Have a Great Paddle Home! That's an awesome route!

Dave R

3. RobP

RobP Paddler

Well folks the forecast for Kitimat and Sandspit are looking good, I am off. Will be on the watertaxi out of Rupert at 0830 tomorrow morn.

4. AM

AM Paddler

Sounds fantastic. What boat are you taking?

5. RobP

RobP Paddler

The Metlakatla First Nation runs a water taxi that services Hartley Bay, Kitkatla, and Metlakatla. The boat I am told can handle 4 kayaks, which they charge 15 dollars more than the regular fair. You can have 40 lbs of gear then 15 cents a pound after that. You do need to bring all your own blocks and tie downs as you are fully responsible for the security of your boat during transit. The ride from Prince Rupert to Hartley bay usually takes 3.5 hours. They are prohibited from dropping anyone off enroute. This taxi sure opens up the mid coast such as Banks, Campania, Pitt, McCaully, Estevan Group, Aristazabal, and Princess Royal Islands. I would also suggest a trip from Bella Bella to Hartley Bay would be do able, then catch water taxi back to Prince Rupert, then the Ferry back to Port Hardy