• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Have a seat

DarrenM

Paddler
Although I plan on using the stock seat that came with the Tern kit. I would eventually like to upgrade to something a bit more "comfy" Maybe with a drink holder. :wink:

Buy one? Make one?
Any suggestions?

Darren, with your skills at shaping things, a custom-carved minicell seat would be an easy job. Look here for methods and materials: http://www.kayakfit.com/

I have done a couple of these, and they fit like a glove, if a glove were sized for your tush! Very comfy, and with knee/thigh pads, solid as can be for bracing and rolling. One of mine shas tood up to some ten years of regular use.

I think making one sounds like an attractive option. Andreas, the other day you were mentioning a nice seat. I can't remember the name :cry:

hi darren,

the seat i mentioned was the nimbus seat. it is made out of minicell foam and covered with mesh. you can get it with a lower or higher back rest. and it's also really easy to install--you just stick it on with velcro, i would laminate some side braces in you cockpit for a better fit ,price was ~ 110$
but you also asked for a seat with a can holder :roll: i think pacifica paddle sports has a used necky seat with a cup holder :D

andreas said:
hi darren,

and it's also really easy to install--you just stick it on with velcro.....

Before you go the velcro route think about the type of paddling you do. If you paddle flat calm waters go ahead.

However if you paddle in rough water and ever come out of your boat, you may find the waves will have a merry time lifting your seat right off the velcro and tossing it about.

For mini cell foam I'd glue it in or if you still want to remove the seat try the 3M lock velcro stuff. It has a greater grip strength.

Glock

glock said:
Before you go the velcro route think about the type of paddling you do. If you paddle flat calm waters go ahead. However if you paddle in rough water and ever come out of your boat, you may find the waves will have a merry time lifting your seat right off the velcro and tossing it about.
This has happened to me a couple times during self-rescue practice, before I beefed up the velcro by a factor of four in area, on my high-volume single. I now have maybe a square foot (about 1000 cm^2) of marine-grade velcro holding that seat in, and it has survived a couple capsizes in mild surf. I think it's good, now.

I like the velcro on this boat because it is easier to inspect under the seat for mungy things, and it dries out better that way. Even so, now that I know the seat is right for me, if the velcro fials again, I'll contact cement it in place. Weldwood red can.

Foam Seats

I carved foam seats for both of my boats. Mine are held in securely without adhesive or velcro and can be removed when I want to pull them. The side of the seats are notched to fit tightly between the hip braces and are kept from "floating" out by hip pads on the braces. I suppose that under an ultra-severe out-of-boat experience it is possble for them to get ripped free, though it's hard to imagine.
Jon

Try ecomarine Darren. I think they carry 3” thick foam for around $12.00/sq. ft. I ordered a chunk of 4x16 x24” foam from Red Fish for a total cost of $32 US incl shipping.

I thought I had seen it on Ecomarine's website, so I called them but they said something about a dealer in Richmond. I Googled that, but was unable to find any info. Maybe you will have better luck... :D

DarrenM said:
Is there somewhere local (Vic Van) that I can buy minicel? Is it expensive?

Darren,

If you don’t have any luck with Ecomarine, you might want to give these folks a call/email. This might be the company in Richmond that jurgenk was referring to earlier.

All Foam Industries

I believe their phone number has since changed to (604) 888-9155

Orca Boats in Port Moody also stocks 3” foam.

Back