Helmet?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by pawsplus, Aug 2, 2017.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

So I'm going to the GA sea kayaking symposium in October!! WHOO HOO! Need a helmet for surfing classes. :) Are all helmets the same? Or are there ones best for sea kayaking ones best for WW? Around here it's all WW. I'll have plenty of choices if they are all the same. I just don't want to get something that's cool in WW and tacky for sea kayaking. :) Thanks!

2. Peter-CKM

Peter-CKM Paddler

Most folks are using white water helmets, as I don't think there are helmets made specific for ocean kayaking. Some are using helmets for other water sports, like kite surfing.

If the GA Symposium is the only place you would be using the helmet, you should ask if they have any for borrow or rent rather than buying one.

3. Whidbey

Whidbey Paddler

If you end up liking surf kayaking or just plain enjoy playing in the rough stuff, then a helmet is a wise investment. I use a Shred Ready Super Scrappy and find it fits very securely and it's comfortable. I'll wear my helmet whenever I'm paddling where there is a chance of capsize near rocks or other hard objects, like a pool edge.

4. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

If you are lucky you'l find a lot of helmets that fit your head. I had a few different helmets that felt OK 'in the store' but after an hour or two gave me the 'nails driven into my temples' feeling. Eventually I got one that fits properly - it came with a bunch of stick-in foam pieces to fine-tune the fit.
    So make sure your choice is comfy, but not sloppy.

5. Jasper

Jasper New Member

I pitch poled in the surf one time and my helmet, that I thought fit me pretty well, got sucked right to the back of my head when hitting the water. It would have done absolutely no good if there were any rocks or logs down there.

Try as many helmets as you can, find one that is comfortable enough to wear all the time and give it a few good tugs, if it shifts, keep looking.

I'm still looking :(